Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP! need info about thing trans please.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: HELP! need info about thing trans please. Reply with quote

my trans in my 73 thing went to crap. i sent my core (almost 100% sure it was OE) to rancho to get back what i was hoping to be a rebuilt, stock, THING transaxle. i heard these guys have a great reputation, so i just sent my trans away with full confidence in rancho assuming what i would get back would be 100% accurate and as identical in performance as possible to what i sent away. i.e. i didnt inspect my trans before shipping it off.

what has gotten me nervous is this:
i get the rebuilt trans back from rancho. im about to install the sucker and am filling it with oil. as im filling, i see through the fill hole some broken teeth off of what appears to be 2nd gear. after turning the gear over it looks like it may have been done intentionally and maybe thats something needed for thing trans because theres 3 broken teeth, 7 intact, 3 broken etc. ok fine. so maybe thats the way it's supposed to be. so please tell me if so.

second problem is this. after seeing the broken teeth i was ready to send the trans back and begun draining the oil. when i removed the drain plug i noticed a large ammount of metal shavings attached to it. i have never rebuilt a transmission so i dont know if this is normal, but it doesnt make sense to me that there should be any shavings in a trans that is sent to me as professionally rebuilt and ready to install. please tell me if i'm wrong.

so heres what im asking from you guys:
1) what are the features of a 73 thing trans, and differences from a type 1, because it looks like that's what they sent me.

2)why are the teeth cut off the gear? is this normal? is it stock?

3) metal shavings: normal? professional? acceptable?

please help me out here.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never rebuild a tranny either, but if I paid someone to and it came back with metal shavings on the drain plug you can bet there would be a call made in the morning. If the teeth are actualy broken off a gear in there then I would think it was simply a case of someone sending you the wrong tranny. For what it's worth Rancho does indeed have a good rep and I'm sure they'd like to here from you.
gus111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference that I know of is a different ring and pinion. It is geared lower for off road use.
charter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: thing Reply with quote

NEVER should there be teeth missing or metal filings in the transmission/differental
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: thing Reply with quote

charter wrote:
NEVER should there be teeth missing or metal filings in the transmission/differental

no, that is not right. You obviously have no experience rebuilding transmissions, so you shouldnt' be commenting here.

This is a common trick done when rebuilding a transmission. The teeth were broken off on purpose, before the gears were installed, just like any performance Transmission shop does. Those teeth are not actually on the gear, they are part of the gear HUB which locks to the syncro. (if any of the spiral cut gear teeth are missing, there is a problem. But if what you see are the little pointy 'pyramid' shaped teeth, then your'e ok.)

Transmission rebuilds are done this way because VW designed the hubs to run on 9 taller teeth until those ones wore down, and then the other teeth would be used. Well, the metal is a little too hard, so they never really wear down. What this means, is that your transmission is only making contact on those 9 teeth, instead of all the way around the hub. By cutting/ breaking off those 9 taller teeth, they are actually making it stronger than stock.

As for the shavings, that doesn't sound right at all. give them a call and let us know what they say!

good luck!

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: