Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mild - Heavy Off-Roading is killing engine for a while
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daily Driver Bajabug Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Mild - Heavy Off-Roading is killing engine for a while Reply with quote

When I take my bug offroading on the weekends I notice that the engine dies for about 1-4 minutes when I hit some mild-heavy turbulance durring off-road use. What could be the most likely thing causing this. I have a stock 1600dp with a 34 pict4. new offroad intake filter, bluecoil & Bocar Fuelpump. I still have ignition while the engine won't start. All it does it crank with no will to start for a while. It gradually begins to come alive again at about the 7-10 cranking. Thanks Guys.

*Engine runs fine when onroad.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flooding of the carb. there is a small little tube that will get fuel in it when youre offroading pretty hard. a small piece of fuel hose extending this tube further upward should solve youre problem. there is a good picture of what im talking about in the Baja Bugs and Buggies book

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, make sure the hose fits snug over that tube and extends into the air filter(about 6" long). This also helps equalize air pressure in float bowl with intake air, better mixture.
DanGreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem similar to yours. I have a 1600cc dual port that use to have a 34Pict4 with stock exhaust and filter. When I drove up in the mountains it would be fine until I was on the trails, thats when it would kinda bogg a bit and sound like it wanted to back fire. Once on the highway the problem would stop. Confused I never figured out what it was and before I could I baught a weber progressive carb and stinger. After installing the carb I've had wiring problems and havent been offroad since.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: