Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

944 disk brakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: 944 disk brakes Reply with quote

Anybody do this.

Anyone see a good article on the net?

Are the 82-84 944 breaks the ones people use for this rear disk conversion?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://veewiki.com/K-mann_4_wheel_brake_conversion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I was looking for, Thanks
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if i can help you with this conversion. I have parts, experience and knowldege I enjoy sharing as well as sources for very good parts needed. This is one of the best low dollar brake conversion around...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kub:
Early 944--I got everything from trailing arms out for the rear + lines and rotors lines backing plates calipers and hardware for the front.

A guy on Samba will make me a mounting kit for Thing front end, ($300 new caliper mounts and spacers). Can you do better or sell me some specs to fab my own?

Here are some pics—rear calipers not shown but also comming.

Any comments tips you have appreciated—especially what you think my best wheel options are! What do you think of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PUT-ANY-WHEELS-ON-Y...4324QQrdZ1
I will probably just lift it a couple inch. with turn and front adjusters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a number of article and tech reports that talked about machining a front caliper adapter, spacer and a custom front bearing race that would allow using front 944 brakes. I have collected some early front 944 brake parts in hopes of some day doing the modification on a Bug or Ghia.. The low budget method I use now is with my front caliper mounts that bolt right up to Thing spindles and allow the use of Ghia rotors and calipers and can be set up with the Porsche 5 x 130 bolt pattern to match the rear stock 944 disk brake assembly. Feel free to pmail me if you have questions that are of no interest or use here. Now for the rear brakes. I do not see a picture of the rear hubs, ebrake cables bunches of hardware. Also make sure that your rear rotors are in specs as they may need to be turned. Also check to see if they are out of round. More on wheels next post. K-mann

K-mann [/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, kubelmann

I am going to double check on your suggested make sure issues

Here is the guy that said he can do a kit to adapt front to Thing as well as this bus one.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=304862

Quote:
Ghia rotors and calipers and can be set up with the Porsche 5 x 130 bolt pattern to match the rear stock 944 disk brake assembly

Didn't realize this will consider it, but some dealing has already been done--this 944 is local.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: