Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Mats & Carpet Kits & Seats
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgalvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Floor Mats & Carpet Kits & Seats Reply with quote

My Thing didn't come with mats or carpet. I saw carpet kits and floor mats on California Pacific/ JBugs web site.

Would you recommend only floor mats or the entire carpet kit with mats?

Also, I need to recover my two front seats, black vinyl - If I bought the kits, is it easy to revover with all new material?

First time at all this. Thank you everyone.

michaelg
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cheap outdoor poly carpet in my car. It works well but needs to be relatively dry to protect the steel underneath. As for your seats: I have replaced the covers on two Beetles over the years (JC Whitney, as a matter of fact) both done in the summer after leaving the covers in the sun. Perfect. Unless you are after OEM perfection....I would work with a cover. Some hog nose clamps and pliers, perhaps a helper and you will be all set. You can buy NEW padding from a number of sources. This is not difficult...just requires a bit of effort. Good Luck. If you need more advice, don't hesitate to ask any of us. Bill
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion would be to choose one or the other based on how you plan to use the Thing. Is it going to be used often, and/or as a utility vehicle? If so, the pats would hold up better. If it will be used for those pleasure drives on nice rain free days, then the carpet would provide a cleaner look to the inside.

Be honest in your choice on how you plan to use the Thing.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend mats. With carpet, you can't see the floorpan rusting. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a hard top, both.

Carpet for the winters with the top on. You don't need to glue it down, just cut it to fit or place it properly. Use floormats too.

Summer, store the top and floormaps, put in duck boards.

Enjoy the sunshine, keep it dry, and have fun.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats & Carpet Kits & Seats Reply with quote

mgalvin wrote:
My Thing didn't come with mats or carpet. I saw carpet kits and floor mats on California Pacific/ JBugs web site.

Would you recommend only floor mats or the entire carpet kit with mats?

A bit off your question, but the advice I got was that if I wanted carpet I should have the rubber swiss cheese mats underneath as well. The idea here is that if the carpet gets wet, the airspace underneath provided by the swiss cheese mats allows the moisture to evaporate more quickly. I suppose cocoa mats under the carpet would perform the same function.

FWIW, I have rubber mats and carpet mats. No carpet under the seats or on the tunnel.

Quote:
Also, I need to recover my two front seats, black vinyl - If I bought the kits, is it easy to revover with all new material?

Again, from something I've read, rather than personal experience: I second the notion of leaving the vinyl in the sun on a warm day - also, use zip ties to incrementally cinch up the seat, alternately cinching the ties and coaxing the vinyl down. Once they're tight enough, cut off the zip ties one at a time and replace with hog rings.
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are duck boards Question
TLW54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck boards thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163492&highlight=duck
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why no duck boards for beetles??
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
Carpet for the winters with the top on. You don't need to glue it down, just cut it to fit or place it properly. Use floormats too.

Summer, store the top and floormaps, put in duck boards.

Out here in CA, it simply doesn't rain in the summer. But in the winter, even with the top up, muddy shoes leave the floor wet and dirty.

Therefore, I'd almost recommend the opposite. Carpet in the summer with no top, then duckboards in the winter. I don't have carpets though - just the duckboards - so do what you want! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good point. America is a very, very big country.

What works in the Southeast doesn't hold true in California.

I've had long conversation with my friends in New Zealand and Australia, and to a lessor extent, England about America. They think it's all like California - beause that's what's on TV.

A universal US idea for Things? POR-15 the floor pans, pull the drain plugs. Drive whenever with whatever blows up your skirt.

Fiind rust? Eradicate it immediately with grinding, Naval Jelly, clean it to bright steel and then POR-15 or otherwise coat it.
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not meant to be a plug, but the Ghia floor mats that I reproduce will fit a Thing perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: