Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Numbers
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Numbers Reply with quote

hello, im tryin to figure out if i got a o.g. thing tranny in my 73' thing.. i know it has to have AV in front of the numbers.. but where are the numbers?! lol.. also how do you know if you got the o.g. engine to the car as well??? PICS ARE WERTH A MILLION WERDS! THANKS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing engines have the serial # start with AM######

the tranny I have no idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i meant to say was how can you tell if the motor matches the body?? what numbers am i looking for.. also on the tranny.. where are the numbers located?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the motor number (AM) is even on the motor in the Thing it is likely the original motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AV or AW is a correct Thing transmission. I don't think there's any way to tell if the engine or transmission is original to the car, unless there are records out there on that.

My Thing came to me with a Karmann Ghia transmission and an AE engine, so I haven't worried about originality at all. Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are asking where to locate the AV number on a Thing transmission.

Look on the underside of the transmission by the nose cone. It is slightly up from the bottom, sort of on the side. Here is where it is located on mine. You might have to scrape off a lot of road crud to find it. Also the numbers are not stamped very deep so they are kind of hard to read.

Hope this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: