Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about transmission
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Question about transmission Reply with quote

I had my Thing up on jack stands changing the rear wheel bearings and repacking the CVs and changing the rear brakes. I had it in gear and noticed that I can easily turn the passenger side axle. I don't think this is normal, what could this indicate? I don't know what it's called, but the piece coming out of the side of the tranny (one on each side) where the axle bolts to the tranny, that is loose (has play up/down and side/side), where the driver side is not.

Wayne
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just inside the transmission housing is the differential.

Secured to that are these circular cups with threaded holes that protrude from the side of the transaxle called "drive flanges". The diff has splines and these are held on with snap rings.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bolted to these cups with 6 bolts are the CV (Constant Velocity) joints which allow the axle to pivot around while still giving twist. The CV joints have cylindrical housings about 5" across and 1.5" deep.

Splines inside the CV and snap rings on the end hold the axle in each CV joint.

At the outer side, there's another CV joint that bolts to a stub-axle.

Over each CV is a boot to keep road-dirt out and grease in.

The CV housing and drive flange should not move up or down or side to side. If you grab the axle, you should be able to move it toward and away from the transmission. It needs to have a bit of motion to grow and shrink as the suspension does its thing, but it should not be able to move in any other direction.

Sounds like either the bolts holding in the CV at the transmission are loose or broken, the CV is broken or perhaps the snap ring holding on the drive flange has let go. Whatever it is, it's probably only half-broken right now otherwise the car wouldn't be drivable - unless you've got a broken or limited-slip diff (aftermarket - costs a few hundred to a few thousand $$). If you keep driving, you may soon hear a KABOOM!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
So, just inside the transmission housing is the differential.

Secured to that are these circular cups with threaded holes that protrude from the side of the transaxle called "drive flanges". The diff has splines and these are held on with snap rings.

Those (the cup on the passenger side) is what I'm talking about. With the car in gear, I don't think I should be able to easily turn the cup, but I can. I can't turn the driver side cup. What does this mean?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those should not move up, down, forward or back. If it is loose, something is wrong - the snap ring inside may have come off or not been put on properly.

When the car is in gear and you spin one side, the other side may spin the opposite direction. If the other wheel is on the ground or the brakes are holding the other wheel, you'll be spinning the engine. If you've got the spark plugs pulled, the valves open or heads off, the engine would spin easily.

If the car is in neutral or clutch disengaged, one side may spin easily.

The brakes may be holding one side of the axle but not the other. Even if it's not currently engaged, there may be enough drag to prevent you from turning it by hand.

Note that if something was wrong with the diff and one side actually is free wheeling, the car wouldn't move (unless you paid a chuck of change for an aftermarket limited slip diff). You'd notice that quickly Wink I'd make doubly sure of what you're seeing before assuming something is wrong, because the fix will be difficult and probably expensive.

So, was the car working before you lifted it? If not, ensure (double and triple check) that the car is in gear and the parking brake is off, then spin the axle. Look carefully if the other is spinnig too or that the engine is spinning. If you're absolutely sure that it's in gear, and spinning one axle isn't either causeing the other to spin or the engine to spin, then you've probably either got a broken diff, transmission or clutch. Any of these problems would cause the car to not work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nwflvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Transmission question Reply with quote

The brakes could be tight on one side and free on the other so you can turn one wheel and not the other. Normally if you turn one wheel the other wheel will turn in the oppposite direction on a single pull rear end.
Up and down play in the flanges on the side of the transaxle is normal and not a concern. They should not move in and out. I dismantled about 200 Things plus many Beetles so I am sure about this. Vince
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it again tomorrow and post what I find. It drives fine, so I don't think anything is broken, but I'm not sure if the other side was moving or not when I was able to freely turn the passenger side. Thanks to all for the responses.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What their trying to say is that your "problem" isn't a problem. With the car in gear and both rear wheel off the ground the tires can and most likely will turn freely. In a perfect world turning one clockwise would cause the other to turn counter-clockwise.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: