Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

question about windows/curtains
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: question about windows/curtains Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my hard top to seal around the side windows better. All four of my side windows (stock plastic) appear to be identical other than 2 being left and 2 being right (none have the vents, all look like they are back windows). Are the fronts and backs supposed to be different sizes?

Wayne
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows are all the same side. You can put the front windows with the vents on the back doors and the back windows on the front if you wanted to.

The Thing windows don't seal very well on the hard top or soft top for that matter. Especially when driving, the windows will pull away from the frame. Some have had success bending the tabs that fit into the doors to make the windows press inward.

I found what I think is a better way to seal the windows against the hard top frame, if you don't mind drilling a single hole in the front windows... What I did was install a plastic tab with a bolt through the top edge of the window. Then you just twist the tab vertically so that is contacts the inside edge of the frame. That will hold the front window and keep it close to the frame. Since the front window overlaps the rear, it also keeps the rear window close as well.

If you're interested in some photos, let me know and I'll post a few...
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with mine is that there is a gap at the top of both windows and at the back of the rear windows. They would definitely let rain in. Is this normal? I have repositioned the top as far forward as I can get it.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like one or both of the following has happened:

- The top has shrunk, creating the gap above the windows.

- The frame is bending outward, causing the top to rise up on the sides.

Does your top have the side clips installed? The clips attach to the side edge of th etop and clips to the frame. This pulls the sides down and keeps them from rising up.

Ooops... Forgot we were discussing the hard top here. Your other post refers to the soft top. I got confused...

Last edited by Woreign on Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdustman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: hard top to window sealing Reply with quote

Since you're talking about a hard top here (right?) it sounds like your hard top is missing the drip rails. What color is the top - is it an original VW hard top? If so, we've reproduced the drip rails and I believe they rivit on. Give us a call on the 800 number (800-VWTHING).

Michele - The Thing Shop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago, a buddy of mine, made me a set of hard top drip rails with a deeper flange on the inside. I believe most and fabricator capable of welding aluminum could do the same.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: hard top to window sealing Reply with quote

mdustman wrote:
Since you're talking about a hard top here (right?) it sounds like your hard top is missing the drip rails. What color is the top - is it an original VW hard top? If so, we've reproduced the drip rails and I believe they rivit on. Give us a call on the 800 number (800-VWTHING).

Michele - The Thing Shop

Anyone have a picture of the drip rails? I'm not 100% sure of what they are to know if mine has them or not (and yes, I'm talking about the hard top). Here are some pictures to show the gaps I'm talking about:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope that helps Very Happy

Wayne
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like they are within the VW specs for Thing window/top/door tolerances:

1 inch +/- .5 inch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7thing3 wrote:
Looks to me like they are within the VW specs for Thing window/top/door tolerances:

1 inch +/- .5 inch

Shocked Very Happy Ok, if that is true, I'll live with it.

I've looked at some other pictures of things in the gallery, and mine are similar to many.

Wayne
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis71bug wrote:
7thing3 wrote:

1 inch +/- .5 inch

Shocked Very Happy Ok, if that is true, I'll live with it.

I've looked at some other pictures of things in the gallery, and mine are similar to many.

Wayne

It looks to me as if your windshield is sagging a bit. Is the side curtain all the way on the outside of the windshield at the top? It kinda looks that way.

Looking at the lower screws, the rust is clear but the screw head isn't a big worry. The dangerous stuff is the slight bubbling paint near where the upper frame slots into the lower frame. There's also a bit of running rust on the lower gasket too. The windshield frame is expensive to replace; you should probably think about pulling apart the frame to see what's there and to stop any rust that's forming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Looking at the lower screws, the rust is clear but the screw head isn't a big worry. The dangerous stuff is the slight bubbling paint near where the upper frame slots into the lower frame. There's also a bit of running rust on the lower gasket too. The windshield frame is expensive to replace; you should probably think about pulling apart the frame to see what's there and to stop any rust that's forming.

Any write-ups on doing this (taking the frame apart)? Is there a bentley or similar manual for the Things?

Wayne
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the windshield apart is easy. Undo those 4 screws, gently fold it down, wiggle and pull it a bit, and it's apart. The top part slides up out of the bottom part, and the glass usually sticks to the top part. The only tricky bit is getting the glass out without breaking it - but it's not difficult at all if there are two of you...

Oh, and from my experience, I don't suggest you and your partner drink heavily before removing the glass! Embarassed Well, the glass is cheap...

If you replace the gasket, the new gasket will give you some stress as you reassemble it. It takes a bit of force to get it to seat. You probably wont run into this with the old gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lee73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Oh, and from my experience, I don't suggest you and your partner drink heavily before removing the glass! Embarassed Well, the glass is cheap...

If you replace the gasket, the new gasket will give you some stress as you reassemble it. It takes a bit of force to get it to seat. You probably wont run into this with the old gasket.

Talcum powder is your friend when installing new rubber. Wink

Alcohol is not your friend when it comes to glass, but it sure makes it a whole lot more fun if you're a spectator to the glass removal.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Thanks Ian and lee73. This will probably be one of my spring projects coming up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: