Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

944 rear diagonal arms for a thing.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: 944 rear diagonal arms for a thing. Reply with quote

What year 944 car can I get the rear diagonal arms from. I want to get a little more lenght and width. for the rear of my car.

Thanks,
Brian
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

944 arms are the exact same width as beetle, ghia or thing arms. If you want longer, wider arms check the multitude of advertisers in HotVw's magazine for aftermarket arms. It will require adding longer axles and it would be a good idea to upgrade to Porsche 930 CV's at the same time. Then you get lift, increased wheel travel and added strength as well. Great upgrade for offroading.
Erwin vs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not completly right.
A complete rear of a typ1 944 is 2" wider than a normal Beetle IRS
The typ1 944 is build from '82-'85
Thay are not longer just wider.
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt you at all Erwin, but I'm still pretty sure the actual trailing arms themselves are the same length. I've held a 944 arm and a beetle arm up to each other and could see no difference in length. I'd be willing to bet the 2 inches wider is from a wider transmission or wider torsion housing or possibly wider stub axles. Anyways, it is cheaper here in CA to buy aftermarket arms that are stronger, wider and longer than 944 arms.
Erwin vs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right. I m sorry.
What i meant was if you use the original 944 rear disc brakes with the 944 arms it's 2" wider than a beetle arm with brakes.
Sorry for the misunderstanding
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 944 arms on both my Things and I gain 2" width and it is 1" longer. It is a matter of using the 944 brake set up and the stock spacers. This is a long argued issue. I currently have a butt load of 944 diagonal arms for sale. These arms have no comparison to to the bug arm in terms of construction and strength. The arms that are applicable are from 944 77 to early 85. There is also the aluminum arms that are great for losing rear end weight. They come off of late 85 and later 944 and are great for a road car if you want to reduce the rear weight. I have a pair on one of my cars. They come with great stub axles. There is a bolt off a stock 944 that you can adapt to a Thing that allows you to adjust camber. I have done extensive work using these parts on a Thing and other offroad and street cars. Check out some of my research at our VW wiki site. Go to
http://www.eppx.com/veewiki/index.php?pagename=K-mann%204%20wheel%20brake%20conversion

Let me know if I can help you get 944 parts or using 944 parts on ac VWs....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
I have 944 arms on both my Things and I gain 2" width and it is 1" longer. It is a matter of using the 944 brake set up and the stock spacers. This is a long argued issue. I currently have a butt load of 944 diagonal arms for sale. These arms have no comparison to to the bug arm in terms of construction and strength. The arms that are applicable are from 944 77 to early 85. There is also the aluminum arms that are great for losing rear end weight. They come off of late 85 and later 944 and are great for a road car if you want to reduce the rear weight. I have a pair on one of my cars. They come with great stub axles. There is a bolt off a stock 944 that you can adapt to a Thing that allows you to adjust camber. I have done extensive work using these parts on a Thing and other offroad and street cars. Check out some of my research at our VW wiki site. Go to
http://www.eppx.com/veewiki/index.php?pagename=K-mann%204%20wheel%20brake%20conversion

Let me know if I can help you get 944 parts or using 944 parts on ac VWs....

The link seems dead, I would like to prepare for summer fun in the sand over here. I need to lower and untuck my rear wheels. Wink
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VeeWiki has moved. Here's the newer link: http://veewiki.com/K-mann_4_wheel_brake_conversion

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be disc- brake conversion, I need lift it to the sky stufff! Wink
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
That seems to be disc- brake conversion, I need lift it to the sky stufff! Wink

Read more than just the title. The 944 conversion stuff is in there. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: