Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky Tranny, any cure?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Leaky Tranny, any cure? Reply with quote

I pulled my transmission tonight and made a few discoveries. 1) it's a bug tranny (113 301 103) and 2) it leaks. I've always seen it covered in muck, but I now see that when I roll it upside down, there is tranny fluid that leaks out of the top bolts that hold the case together. The Bentley Manual shows that to replace that gasket, I get a lap full of gears - and a tranny rebuild is not something I'm planning at this point.

Do you think there's something I can do, or do I just have to live with it until I can replace it? (though, I'm afraid I may know the answer to this one)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, retorque to 14 ft-lbs and keep it topped off? Laughing

Or is it leaking badly?

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it rolled upside-down for a few minutes - maybe 20 or so - and got a few tablespoons of oil out of it. It's pretty clear where it's coming from, it's the only clean oil on the case!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GregZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly is the oil coming out, you do realise that there are breather holes in the transmission casings.

One that I know of is on the nose cone, if these breather holes are blocked the seals will leak when the transmission warms up but I have read mysterious references to holes in the plural.

Maybe somebody else will chime in and tell us whether and where the other exist.

Bottom line the gearbox is not designed to be leak proof while lying on its back.

I'd clean the box up while its the right way up, refill and see if there are any obvious leaks while its in its natural state.

Good luck
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

I thought you weren't going to have your Thing upside down anymore? Wink
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Tranny, any cure? Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
I pulled my transmission tonight and made a few discoveries. 1) it's a bug tranny (113 301 103) and 2) it leaks.
Do you think there's something I can do, or do I just have to live with it until I can replace it? (though, I'm afraid I may know the answer to this one)

The part number sounds like a part number cast in the case. Check the serial number stampted in 3/4" high letters/numbers (Thing trannies usually are AV1234 or something).

Second, I just went through this fire drill. It is not that difficult to seal everything EXCEPT for the connection between the gear carrier and main housing. Working with the big threaded ring (I forget what it is called) caused some heartburn, but I did that too. While I had the gear carrier apart, I put in a Weddle reverse prophylactically. The hardest part was cleaning 33 years of crud off the housing.

Check out my post on the shoptalkforum http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=96843&highlight=

Mark
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
I thought you weren't going to have your Thing upside down anymore? Wink

Laughing !!!

markie61 wrote:
The part number sounds like a part number cast in the case. Check the serial number stampted in 3/4" high letters/numbers (Thing trannies usually are AV1234 or something).

Second, I just went through this fire drill. It is not that difficult to seal everything EXCEPT for the connection between the gear carrier and main housing. Working with the big threaded ring (I forget what it is called) caused some heartburn, but I did that too. While I had the gear carrier apart, I put in a Weddle reverse prophylactically. The hardest part was cleaning 33 years of crud off the housing.

Check out my post on the shoptalkforum http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=96843&highlight=

I saw the part number you describe when I was pulling it, then I couldn't find it again when it was out Rolling Eyes I expect I'll locate it when I clean the thing up.

Next year, I'll likely buy a new, hardened tranny - maybe Santa will even bring a Quiffe LSD! So, I'm not too worried about making it perfect, only about making it live for a year with 190HP.

Thanks for the link!
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Tranny, any cure? Reply with quote

markie61 wrote:

Well well! I had always thought it was a bug tranny in there - with that little 48HP engine I could cruise at 70 - but it clearly says (after a hell of a lot of de-greasing) AV18043.

I suppose it could have been rebuilt at some point - I'm not sure how to tell. I think tomorrow I'll go count teeth as suggested in the Shop Talk thread.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wacky! You have a Thing transmission with a Bug nosecone. Very Happy

It *should* have a 181 part number, shouldn't it?

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No is shouldn't have a "181" part number, matter of fact most of out "Things" parts are from other cars in the VW line with surprisingly few "181" numbers. The part number Ian was referring to is the part number for the trans housing itself. And it's the same for all late type 1 trannys with a single side cover. The stamped in numbers are what's important
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanno's page lists one with part number 181 300 044F -- since I'd otherwise agree that there should be no need for a special Thing casting, I wonder what it's raison d'etre was...

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Hanno's page lists one with part number 181 300 044F -- since I'd otherwise agree that there should be no need for a special Thing casting, I wonder what it's raison d'etre was...

The transmission assembly itself has a 181 number, although it is made up of mostly off-the-rack parts?

Mark

Last edited by markie61 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Tranny, any cure? Reply with quote

markie61 wrote:
Check the serial number stampted in 3/4" high letters/numbers (Thing trannies usually are AV1234 or something).

Oh, and I can spell "stamped" Embarassed .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: