Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric Shock
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Cheam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Electric Shock Reply with quote

I have a Thing 181 1976 model, When ever I press the horn I got Electiric Shock. If you leave your hand on any part of the Thing Metal body, and when you press the horn you will get Electric shock.
What is the cause of this probelm,
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fascinating. You really won't feel 12 volts unless you do something spectacular - simply touching the car body isn't good enough. So, there must be something wrong with the horn itself. Somehow it's stepping up voltage. I'd disconnect the horn at the front of the car and see if you still get a shock. I'd guess that you won't. If so, replace the horn. If you still get a shock, it's something else wierd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy Cheam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Elrctric shock Reply with quote

I disconnect my Horn and I still get the Electric shock, but I can hear the relay clicking. I try to add an extra wire from the Battery to the body, no effect.

quote="Ian Epperson"]That's fascinating. You really won't feel 12 volts unless you do something spectacular - simply touching the car body isn't good enough. So, there must be something wrong with the horn itself. Somehow it's stepping up voltage. I'd disconnect the horn at the front of the car and see if you still get a shock. I'd guess that you won't. If so, replace the horn. If you still get a shock, it's something else wierd.[/quote]
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the vehicle engine running when you get the "electrical shock"? Because I agree, 12 vDC should not shock you. Now a bad ignition coil or bad (leaky) spark plug wires could allow high voltage to be passed along or induced into other electrical conductors throughout the vehicle. Leakage current.
Jimmy Cheam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Electric shock Reply with quote

74 Cosa wrote:
Is the vehicle engine running when you get the "electrical shock"? Because I agree, 12 vDC should not shock you. Now a bad ignition coil or bad (leaky) spark plug wires could allow high voltage to be passed along or induced into other electrical conductors throughout the vehicle. Leakage current.

The Engine is not running, I just switch on the ignition key and press the horn I get the shock. Check with ohm meter it read 12VDC when I press the horn. Only the horn that give me the shock, Wiper, turn switch and Lights did not shock me when I turn on.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If im not mistaken the horn set up does not have a relay so it was probally added by previous owner. I would check all connection on or around the relay. i think having a relay is a good idea as long as its hooked up properly. As far as the shock that just boggles me. I know if i touch the positive term of my battery and have my forearm resting on bare metal of the car it would kinda burn a bit but not shock me. The only similar problem I ever had like this was when my headlight switch sparked. (but did not shock me) It turned out to be a bad headlight switch

Keep us posted
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stop pressing that horn button!

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Jimmy Cheam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewe01 wrote:
If im not mistaken the horn set up does not have a relay so it was probally added by previous owner. I would check all connection on or around the relay. i think having a relay is a good idea as long as its hooked up properly. As far as the shock that just boggles me. I know if i touch the positive term of my battery and have my forearm resting on bare metal of the car it would kinda burn a bit but not shock me. The only similar problem I ever had like this was when my headlight switch sparked. (but did not shock me) It turned out to be a bad headlight switch

Keep us posted

I add a another horn with direct wire to it with no relay did not use the steering button to press the horn, I install another horn buttom,I dont get the burning shock.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 73 has a relay as well, but the wiring diagram at http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/thing.gif doesn't show one. The relay on mine is right up under the front 'grill' area on the driver side, next to the driver side fender. According to the wiring diagram, the horn should be hot all the time and the horn button provides the ground through the steering column. I haven't checked this, but I believe the relay is activated by the horn button, and provides the ground to the horn when activated. Here's a good writeup that describes the operation of the horn specifically to ACVWs http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqhorn.htm. Is your horn button metal/something that will conduct electricity, or are you touching another part of the steering wheel/column when it shocks you?
Jimmy Cheam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis71bug wrote:
My 73 has a relay as well, but the wiring diagram at http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/thing.gif doesn't show one. The relay on mine is right up under the front 'grill' area on the driver side, next to the driver side fender. According to the wiring diagram, the horn should be hot all the time and the horn button provides the ground through the steering column. I haven't checked this, but I believe the relay is activated by the horn button, and provides the ground to the horn when activated. Here's a good writeup that describes the operation of the horn specifically to ACVWs http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqhorn.htm. Is your horn button metal/something that will conduct electricity, or are you touching another part of the steering wheel/column when it shocks you?

My horn button is half moon metal and my Gear handle is Strait Shifter also metal. When I press my horn with my hand on the shifter, I get the the burning like shock. If I dont leave my hand on the shifter I dont get it. You will get it when you leave one hand on the body part and then you press the horn at the same time. I also replace a new Relay, that wont help also.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to try this sometime, I have never used my horn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another guess - did someone rig up neon tubes in the car? You mention the the "horn button is half moon metal" - did it used to have a light or something? Neon uses a step-up transformer and you could get a shock if one of the leads was grounding into the system somehow.

It's a long shot, but you've posted a hard problem!

We might get another hint if you used a voltmeter to tell what voltage is between the shifter and horn button.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy Cheam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Here's another guess - did someone rig up neon tubes in the car? You mention the the "horn button is half moon metal" - did it used to have a light or something? Neon uses a step-up transformer and you could get a shock if one of the leads was grounding into the system somehow.

It's a long shot, but you've posted a hard problem!

We might get another hint if you used a voltmeter to tell what voltage is between the shifter and horn button.

I painted my Half moon metal horn ring, when I press the horn ring, the grounding does not go to my hand and pass through to the other hand that I am holding the metal Swifter, no burning shock now. The original steering horn wheel are made of plastic so there is no conductor to go through from left to right hand. This is only for the time being, when the paint peel of I will get the burning shock again.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That former owner sure got tired of his kids making noise with the Thing.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there've been times that I wished a driver in the other car would get a burning sensation when they touched the horn. Razz
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "shock", I figured you might enjoy reading this:
This is from John Henry's "Horn Wiring Hell" tech article...
Interesting Side Note:
During the week I was writing this article, Travis Hall, a '63 Beetle owner, posted this message over at the aircooled newsgroup. He has a bare metal (chromed) chain-link steering wheel on his '63:

Quote:
"Hi all. I have a '63 bug that really shocked me the other day. I mean it "REALLY" shocked me.
Here's the story... Hopefully someone can help me. I'd like to say in advance that I want to keep the steering wheel that is currently installed on my bug. OK, it was warm outside so I put on some shorts. I went for a ride in my car to enjoy the weather. I'm going down the road when I relax my right leg so it kinda falls over to the side and touches the metal part of my shifter. MAN that hurt! Shocked the !#@$$^ out of me. So I did what anyone else would do. I did it over and over again trying to figure out what the deal was.
(duh) So then I notice that if I rest my arm outside of the window so that the skin of my arm contacts the metal of the door then that also shocks me pretty badly. Then I notice that neither the door or the shifter shocks me AS LONG AS I'M NOT TOUCHING THE STEERING WHEEL.
Hmm.. Interestingly enough the steering wheel I have is one of those all-metal chain steering wheels."

"The horn is hooked up on this steering wheel and I suspect (haven't pulled out my multi-meter yet) that it's kinda what's causing the problem. I think the horn is negatively switched (like when I push the horn button it closes my connection to ground) so the steering wheel itself is constantly holding a charge. When I ground my body by touching metal in the car the current goes through me? Only I don't hear the horn... Maybe I'm posing too much resistance for enough current to run through my body for the horn to actually sound off? I'm not sure. Anyone had this happen to them before? I thought about connecting a wire from the steering wheel to ground, but it seems like that would put a constant drain on the electrical system. I'm lost. Suggestions welcome."

Travis

With his bare metal (welded chain links) steering wheel, Travis had indeed "felt" the effect of the floating voltage in the steering shaft! His suppositions are entirely correct, although if he hooked a wire from his wheel to ground, his horn would stay on constantly!!
Copyright© 1998; John S. Henry

V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: