Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Standard oil plate stud size?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Standard oil plate stud size? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me or give me the link on cip1.com to the correct size studs on the Thing. I am ordering some new exhaust parts from them today and wanted to go ahead and replace the oil plate studs and bolts as well. Also, I can't seem to find bolts on that site, has anyone ordered some from there?
TIA
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up "VHD-N14-4512" on CIP1. They are under "Hardware & Misc > Studs"
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By bolts, which ones do you mean, do you mean the cap nuts? (The oil sump is not held on with any bolts, just studs with nuts.) CIP sells the cap nuts here:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VHD%2DN11%2D0624

These are the studs, M6x1.0 x 23mm long. Note, only 5 of the studs can be easily changed, one of them is longer and has a nut on the inside of the case that holds down the oil pickup tube bracket. I think the longer one is like 31mm long.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VHD%2DN14%2D4512

If anyone's ever stripped and retapped any of the studs oversize, then you might find these in there:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VHD%2DN14%2D4521
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be careful replacing the stud that retains you oil pick up. The stud is at 5 o'clock if the crank pulley is at 12 o'clock. Having your oil; pick up flopping about is bad as is a nut floating around in the sump!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Note, only 5 of the studs can be easily changed, one of them is longer and has a nut on the inside of the case that holds down the oil pickup tube bracket. I think the longer one is like 31mm long.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll just leave that one be for now. Mainly just trying to get the old girl in half way decent driving condition for the summer. Hopefully next year I'll really start getting to actually restore the car.
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more quick question, are these the correct j-tubes for the Thing?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DD%2D2510

I'm about to order that exhaust system that sells on here and ebay that comes out the original holes and need new j-tubes as well. My heater boxes were so messed up I had to get them off with an air chisel so they are done for. Eventually I'm going to replace them with more heater boxes but for this summer I'm going the cheap route.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: