Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting highbacks to lowbacks?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Converting highbacks to lowbacks? Reply with quote

So in my quest for seats, I've located a pair within a reasonable driving distance -- but they're highbacks, and I (read: "my wife") would really prefer lowbacks.

A year or two ago, I seem to recall coming across a website that walked through someone's adventure with converting highback seats to lowbacks. I will have to replace at least the vinyl anyway, so I'm not averse to disassembly and hacksawing.

Has anybody done this, or seen the web page I'm referring to? I can't find it now.
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have highbacks and really like them. Maybe she should sit in them on a long trip first. That being said I perfer the look of lowbacks.
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted a pair, and they turned out great, and are very comfortable. Check my gallery for pictures of the process. They are for a type 3, but should be the same for the Thing I would imagine.

A couple of things. (these tips will make sense when you start into it).

You will have to use the foam headrest, and carve it down. Use something like an electric carving knife, and do it as smooth as possible. Take a small piece of scrap foam, and glue it in the hole. Before you slip the new cover on, lay some thin foam over the top, and this will hide the hacks, and smooth the top.

I may take my backrest cover off, as you can see a little bit of lumpiness where I carved the foam. It's very rubbery, and I thought the cover would hide it better, but it hides nothing. Do a clean job the first time.
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guzziguy, thanks for the reference! I was hoping it wouldn't involve welding, though. Do you know if the Beetle highback seat frames are the same kind of design?

If it comes down to it, I can try and find some pipe that has an ID slightly larger than the seat frame pipe OD and just JB Weld it in place. Smile

J Flare, I'm going to put the seats in as is for a while first, since they're in decent shape. We'll see how she feels about it after living with that for a while. Smile
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would weld them personally. All it will take is one fatty, and they will spread apart. I had access to a mig welder at work. If you can't do it yourself, cut the pieces and get them ready, and a welder will tack them in in mere minutes. The steel yard I went to didn't really have that much stock that was the same size, but the 1" exhaust tubing fit pretty close. It was a bit larger OD, but I flushed it up on the top.

Beetle highback frames are indeed constructed the same way.
warrant_nielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: High back seats Reply with quote

I installed early 70's high backs in my 74 and they are great! I got them mainly for safety reasions (too many idiots out there eating while reading a book while texting while puting on makeup while......)

1959 - Bug
1974 - Type 181 Acapulco Thing
1982 - VW Diesel Pickup
2004 – New Beetle Convertible ‘Mellow Yellow’
1966 Bug, 66-67-68 Bug Convertible, 68 Bug, 70 Bug, 72 Bay Window Camper Van.
Diesels – 80 Rabbit, 82 Rabbit, 84 Golf, 86 Jetta, 2000 Jetta ‘TDI’, 2002 Jetta ‘TDI’, 2006 Jetta ‘TDI’ …
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I have lowbacks in my Thing but I'd like to get highbacks. I'm too afraid of having an accident with lowbacks...it looks to me like lowbacks=broken backs in an accident.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Reply with quote

Kherome wrote:
I have lowbacks in my Thing but I'd like to get highbacks. I'm too afraid of having an accident with lowbacks...it looks to me like lowbacks=broken backs in an accident.

Hi Kherome, and welcome to the clan. Why don't you send deafen a private message and offer to swap your low-back seats for his high back seats? It will save him a lot of labor cutting down the Bug seats he has a line on, and you'll have the peace of mind that you want.
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

That sounds good in theory but I am willing to bet that I am not in "reasonable" driving distance for him. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: