Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing "crashes" Ian? Rollbars?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Thing "crashes" Ian? Rollbars? Reply with quote

Hi all, I read (a couple days back) that someone crashed their thing, I thought maybe Ian something? It was orange with tiger stripes on it.

Anyway, my point here is that it seemed that everyone made it out ok, which seems highly unlikely to me, very lucky! I think this person said they had a rollbar installed. Because I am a big worrier when it comes to accidents, it's my intention to put highbacks and a good restraint system in my Thing, but I wasn't sure about a rollbar. I think I'd like to put one in, but I am wondering is it possible to put in a rollbar and still use a top? How does that work? I have a hard top and a bimini/acapulco top...

Thanks! Very Happy
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was me. I wrote about it here:

http://veewiki.com/IanEpperson/Accident

Yes, everyone made it OK. We were very lucky. Without the roll bar, I doubt any of us would have avoided serious injury, and we'd most likely have all died.

The roll bar is designed to fit under the soft tops. Most roll bars should fit under the hard top too, but that can be a bit more problematic because the hard top is more rare. I understand that sometimes it's hard to make the two work together.

I've got an aftermarket roll bar that fits just fine under the soft top. Well, it used to. It's a bit bent these days Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kherome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

What about my acapulco top? Do you think that would still work?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an acapulco top, so I don't know. Doesn't it use the same mounting points and run roughly the same place as the soft top? I don't it'll be a problem, but I don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have it in Madison some time you can try the top on mine it has role bars. There is a show @ Zibrick VW in Aug.

I have asked a couple times here if hardtops fit over the bars—no one seems to know.

http://www.nwvc.itgo.com/otherlinks/Index.html#Wisconsin%20Clubs

http://www.geocities.com/ccvwc/
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to cut my roll bar down 2 inches to fit under a hardtop. I now have a soft top on and it has several inches between the rollbar and top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am a worrier.

I just finished doing exactly what Kherome is planning.

I bought the original roll cage from the Thing shop and had to add the front to give me all over proctection... just this Saturday, 4/21.

I put my old Miata seats in, which were welded to after market risers.... with all the welding work it would have been cheaper to buy two new seats that have their own risers, but I did not see that when I was looking... but, duh, I saw them on JC Whitney's Jeep website about two weeks ago.

I had to have tabs welded on the roll cage to mount 3-point safety belts... watch out and make sure you mount your top tab high enough above your shoulder, or you will need to figure out how to make a tensioner for the belt... which I did with a bungee cord.

I put two 50lb bags of sand in the front end in the "luggage area." My brother suggest this, because he said the VW's are lite in the front. It does feel like it is more securely on the ground. Also, I figure that the sand will help a bit if I am forced into rear ending someone, etc.

After all my safety fix-its I can't wait to take my Thing out for a spin. I love driving it and feel much safer. It probably would handle an accident better than some new cars.

Finally, if you have the money, it is possible to install after market air bags in an old car. I have heard it is around $3,000.00 per air bag. This is in L.A. area though.

Good luck!

Richard Very Happy
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my 6 point roll bar. It is low enough that the full canvas fit perfectly. I haven't test it with a hard top yet. (Me at the driver side with David and my Dog Ross)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably a heretic or worse, but I have no intention of putting a roll bar in my Thing.

I've ridden over 300,000 miles on motorcycles throughout the US, Canada, NZ and Australia. So far, so good. If you're going to get killed, it'll be on a bike.

So, roll bars? Nah.

Drive like EVERYONE wants to kill you. Look ahead, behind, and to your sides (especially at a crossroad) every few seconds. Anticipate bad drivers, and never drive faster than your a) headlights b) brakes.

YMMV,

Dean aka bmwloco
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
I'm probably a heretic or worse, but I have no intention of putting a roll bar in my Thing.

I've ridden over 300,000 miles on motorcycles throughout the US, Canada, NZ and Australia. So far, so good. If you're going to get killed, it'll be on a bike.

So, roll bars? Nah.

Drive like EVERYONE wants to kill you. Look ahead, behind, and to your sides (especially at a crossroad) every few seconds. Anticipate bad drivers, and never drive faster than your a) headlights b) brakes.

YMMV,

Dean aka bmwloco

That means that you are a paranoic driver Very Happy
Well, when I bought my Thing, already had that roll bar installed on it. Surely, I love the look and the small safety awareness that gives me. Who would have thought about rolling over in a Thing?? Ask that to Ian. But is all about preferences. IMO.

Take care
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
I'm probably a heretic or worse, but I have no intention of putting a roll bar in my Thing . . . I've ridden over 300,000 miles on motorcycles throughout the US, Canada, NZ and Australia. So far, so good. If you're going to get killed, it'll be on a bike . . . Drive like EVERYONE wants to kill you. Look ahead, behind, and to your sides (especially at a crossroad) every few seconds. Anticipate bad drivers, and never drive faster than your a) headlights b) brakes.

Having spent a healthy amount of miles on a motorcycle myself, I agree with your philosophy, as it applies to motorcyles. But the difference in acceleration, braking, and agility between a Thing and most motorcycles is HUGE.

OTOH, I love the look of a Thing, with top down and lowback seats. My Thing has no additional homage paid to safety. That said, it doesn't mean I won't go the highback/roll-bar/shoulder belt route someday - like when my kids are old enough to drive.

Quote:
"I never drive faster than I can see - and besides - it's all in the reflexes"
- Jack Burton - Big Trouble in Little China

bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Jack Burton... Big Trouble was one of the most frenetic and fun movies of what, the early 80's?

I do have high back seats, more for comfort and lateral support than safety. The PO put them in - nice leather Jetta GLI, essentially Recaros.

I love Recaros. Put 'em in my sadly gone Suzuki Sidekick, my old and gone Porsche 912 Targa too. Every now and then you can find them cheap on eBay.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best looking rollbar I have run into that is sturdy, but I could be biased as its mine. Wink

Just fits under the soft top too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: