Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gene Berg shifter, how much?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Gene Berg shifter, how much? Reply with quote

hey all, I have a nice Gene Berg shifter I am thinking about selling. What do you think it is worth, or what price would you ask for it?
azmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, also it is a bug shifter and it is not the locking model.....
56_in_714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 10 bucks. Ill paypal it to yah...HAHAH JK. I heard theyre pretty expensive these days. have you checked their site? Theres a thread in the forum discussing this already. Check below. I remember my friend wanted to trade me his gene berg for my cheapy empi..Im such a moron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you don't want to blow $$ on the Berg shifter, is there a reasonably-priced alternative, performance-wise?
56_in_714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Scat Dragfast shifter(just recently got it). Its very smooth and very easy to find the gears. and its about 80 or 90 bucks retail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronschopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much are the new Gene Berg's??? Their website does not list prices.. I guess that means I should not ask...
slackin' at work
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used non-locking versions usually run about 175-200ish. BUT some versions are 'collector items' and doing some research on yours might help you out in the long run.
-chris
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW berg shifters are around 225.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cswi9367 wrote:
NEW berg shifters are around 225.

Thats nuts... I keep reading the Scat dragfast is a nice piece. I made the mistake of buying a cheap Empi... now I have to spend the money twice.
http://store.cip1.com/Merchant2/merchant.php?Scree...2-06-03-04

I bought one for my first bug and sold it when I got rid of the car... guess I should have kept it a few years.
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you saying the scat dragfast is a nice piece? its ok

you sayin 225 is nuts? your nuts if you think anything else is nearly as good as a berg. 225 is all you will ever spend, you will never break a berg. until you have used a berg, anything seems good. by the sound of your post, you have not yet tried a berg. its simply the best. 225 is cheap for what your getting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CPRcubed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Berg shifters are no doubt very nice, but at $225 for a relatively vanilla version of the thing it is way overpriced. The problem is there is no competition for something similar. For me, I can buy 3 new DragFast's for that money. I would consider getting one as the "cherry-on-top" finishing touch (if my bug were to ever get that close Wink ), but there are many other things to do first (like buy a decent MIG). Heck, even a stock shifter with good bushing and coupler is really pretty decent (just no "cool factor"). Cheers!
66 Bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56_in_714 wrote:
I really like the Scat Dragfast shifter(just recently got it). Its very smooth and very easy to find the gears. and its about 80 or 90 bucks retail.

Very easy to upshift, what it was designed for, but downshifting is another story. Especially down into 2nd.
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cswi9367 wrote:
you saying the scat dragfast is a nice piece? its ok

you sayin 225 is nuts? your nuts if you think anything else is nearly as good as a berg. 225 is all you will ever spend, you will never break a berg. until you have used a berg, anything seems good. by the sound of your post, you have not yet tried a berg. its simply the best. 225 is cheap for what your getting.

For the 1-2000 miles I put on my bug every year I have no plans on spending that much on one. There isn't that much to a VW shifter... 225 is nuts. But, I have noticed everything Berg seems to be overpriced. I have no intentions of buying any of their products... except for the name I don't see anything special about them. If you feel they are the best, keep spending money on their products. Honestly, I may just buy the rebuild kit for the stock shifter. The shifter money can be spent somewhere else...
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you're using it for. If you've got a car that you drive aggressively or race regularly then you can't beat a Berg shifter. It's kind of acknowledged that VW people aren't willing to pay for quality, as a rule, hence the innundation of the market with cheap Taiwan garbage. If more people were willing to step up and pay for quality, the prices probably wouldn't be so high.
On the flip side of the coin, if you've got a car that you drive fairly conservatively then almost any shifter will probably suit your car just fine. A buddy of mine has an Empi Hurst knock off and never had a problem with it. I have an original Hurst in my daily driver and love it more than the Scat I used to have in my first car. Sadly, the nostalgia market has driven the prices of these up way high.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berg = drag shifter.
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to buy a berg locking shifter 3 times every time talk my self into buying one$$$ They say there out of stock and there having more built.My car was stolen when i lived in Phoenix i was lucky and got her back.I think if i had that shifter they would have needed a flatbed truck to steal her .Gene Berg =quality Id keep it.
ktwizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My empi T-handle shifter works fine and has for 10+ years.
"There was only one road back to L.A. US Interstate 15, just a flat-out high speed burn through Baker and Barstow and Berdoo. Then on to the Hollywood Freeway straight into frantic oblivion: safety, obscurity. Just another freak in the Freak Kingdom."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your exactly right..."it works fine". for that matter stockers work fine. bergs, they just work perfectly. like i said prior, until you own one, you have no idea what your missing. now, if you driving a mild or stocker around, dont bother. keep the stock shifter.
SLawson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bk63rag wrote:
I have tried to buy a berg locking shifter 3 times every time talk my self into buying one$$$ They say there out of stock and there having more built.My car was stolen when i lived in Phoenix i was lucky and got her back.I think if i had that shifter they would have needed a flatbed truck to steal her .Gene Berg =quality Id keep it.

Why didn't you just take your coil wire off or rotor off, Genious?
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock shifter plus short shift kit.....total cost $10 Laughing Shocked And it works very good! Not as good as the Berg, but it's basically free.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: