Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear window replacement question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug_guy_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: rear window replacement question Reply with quote

Is it possible to replace the rear window? Mine is impossible to see out of. I guess years of use and improper folding have taken their toll.

If it can be replaced is it worth it as I assume it still has to be taken apart.
1967 Beetle Convertible
1955 Beetle Ragtop
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft top or hard top???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug_guy_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soft top
1967 Beetle Convertible
1955 Beetle Ragtop
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the soft top to a auto or marine upholstery and have them sew in a new window. It should cost around $50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug_guy_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, appreciate the help
1967 Beetle Convertible
1955 Beetle Ragtop
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Take the soft top to a auto or marine upholstery and have them sew in a new window. It should cost around $50

Shocked
Are you serious?

To have the plastic rear window replaced in my Audi Cabriolet, I have been quoted $750.

Of course, I realize that there is very little labor to installing the Thing window vs. the Audi - but the parts cost for the Audi window alone is $350.

I seriously doubt there is any shop within 100 miles of here that could do parts and labor for $50.
Count your blessings.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Audi's job cost so much b/c you were using OEM plastic, but a marine or upholstry shop should be able to do a Thing rear window for much less. I paid $20 per window to get new plastic sewn into my original side window frames. Granted, that was in 1994, but it was just plastic cut from a roll, and I would think that the side window job was more labor-intensive than the rear window.

Also, I think modern plastic is much improved from 1974. The cheap stuff I bought in 1994 has been clear for 13 years. The OEM stuff had definitely clouded up by that point.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Luni wrote:
Maybe the Audi's job cost so much b/c you were using OEM plastic, but a marine or upholstry shop should be able to do a Thing rear window for much less. I paid $20 per window to get new plastic sewn into my original side window frames. Granted, that was in 1994, but it was just plastic cut from a roll, and I would think that the side window job was more labor-intensive than the rear window.

Also, I think modern plastic is much improved from 1974. The cheap stuff I bought in 1994 has been clear for 13 years. The OEM stuff had definitely clouded up by that point.

You make some good points.
I think how much exposure the plastic gets to the sun has an awful lot to do with how long it lasts.
The Audi window is the original from 1996, but it has been clouded/yellowed for at least two years now.
Conversely, the top on my Thing was an NOS VW top I got from The Thing Shop back around 1991.
That rear window is still almost perfect to this day, but it has lived most of its life either under a cover or in the garage.
I have the plexiglass slider side curtains on it as well, and the two on the side that have faced the sun most of the day for the past 2 years are yellowed, while the two on the other side are not.
bug_guy_bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll report back with what they quote to replace the window
1967 Beetle Convertible
1955 Beetle Ragtop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: