Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tune-up and Maintenance Cheat Sheet
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Tune-up and Maintenance Cheat Sheet Reply with quote

Howdy.

Like many of you, I own more than one vehicle. My yearly mileage is split up amongst those vehicles, and I might go a year without performing any maintenance but an oil and/or coolant change an a particular car. With that amount of time going by between services, I find myself becoming a little foggy sometimes about he details. So, I made up a little cheat sheet for each of my cars with tune-up and maintenance data - to be kept in the vehicle or in the tool box. It's not meant to replace a shop manual - just enough to refresh my memory when I need it.

It occurred to me that others of you might enjoy having something like this, and I thought I'd offer it. So I spruced it up in my normal anal retentive fashion, and the results are below. I'll need to make a few changes. The one below is fine tuned for my particular car. The version I'd make up for general consumption would be for a stock 1600 motor.

I need a couple of pieces of information about a stock motor (as I've never really had one.) Speak up please if you know:
    Recommended oil viscosity
    Oil capacity
    Spark Plug
    Spark plug gap

If you see any glaring errors or omissions, likewise sing out.

Thanks in advance,

Spalding

Below is a lo-rez version of the .pdf layout. The flat page gets folded as shown.
[Click on the images to see them full size]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome layout, a classic Thing document that will be used in many years to come I bet.

I'm sure we'll see them included on Thing sales on ebay in no time!

One thing, if possible the carb graphic is a bit fuzzy even at 100%, can it be blown up a little more? everything else reads fine

thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wa6usa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very handy Readers Digest condensed version of the vitals! Would love to see the final .pdf when your done.
I use Castrol 20/50 in my engine.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be handy, if for no other reason, to remind me which way the star adjusters for the brake shoes go. Every spring I'm under there going "OK, let's see...."

Looks good.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! I recommend laminating it and keeping it in the glove box. Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive comments everybody. Re: the carb diagram - it's a Weber IDF, which is what I run in my car. In the distributed version there will be a diagram of the 34pict/3.

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Thu May 03, 2007 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rotella 15w40 is very close to old stock 30 weight oil. That seems to be the stock engine oil of choice in the performance forum.

Personally, I always have to look up which way to turn the engine for valve adjustments. TDC for number 1 is easy, but I'm never *sure* whether to go clockwise or counter-clockwise to get to number 2 to TDC (it's counter-clockwise ... right?). Maybe just a simple statement like this: From #1 TDC, turn pulley CCW 180* to adjust #2, #3 and #4.

Thanks and great work.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain,
What you have assembled is the most condensed, concise, collection of Thing relevant service information I have seen yet.
Kudos for your efforts!!

In answer to your call for additional info I researched a bit myself this morning.
Most of this information was taken from the Thing shop manual.

Recommended oil viscosity:

See Thing Owners Manual via Samba page 33: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/73thing/73thingmanual.pdf
Oil capacity:
changing quantity: 2.5 liters (5.3 US pints)
initial filling: 2.0 liters (4.25 US pints)
Spark Plug:
Bosch W 145 T1, W 175 T 1*
Beru 145/14, Beru 145/14*
Champion L 88 A
*to be used in vehicles driven at high speed for long periods in areas where the average temperature is above 77 degrees F
Spark plug gap: .024 shop manual .028 owners manual
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! I happen to have Weber IDF's on mine too.

What did you originally make it in? Can you send it out as a PDF or some other editable version - various stats are different on my car as I move away from stock. (Electronic ignition, no condenser, disk brakes in front, etc)

I don't think you can load arbritrary files to TheSamba, but you can to Veewiki.com. A good page for this could be: http://veewiki.com/TheThing/CheatSheet
If you need help creating or uploading, give a holler.

I just had a thought to automating it. Twisted Evil Pick your carb, pick your brake system, pick your ignition system, spit out a cheet sheet. That would be pretty easy to do in Veewiki.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Spark plugs. Bosch changed their numbering system again, so you should include the new numbers: 7502 for the old W8AC, 7902 for the "Super Plus" version that is replacing the Super.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
lee73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic job Capt.

Thanks
madster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tune-up and Maintenance Cheat Sheet Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Howdy.

Like many of you, I own more than one vehicle. My yearly mileage is split up amongst those vehicles, and I might go a year without performing any maintenance but an oil and/or coolant change an a particular car. With that amount of time going by between services, I find myself becoming a little foggy sometimes about he details. So, I made up a little cheat sheet for each of my cars with tune-up and maintenance data - to be kept in the vehicle or in the tool box. It's not meant to replace a shop manual - just enough to refresh my memory when I need it.

It occurred to me that others of you might enjoy having something like this, and I thought I'd offer it. So I spruced it up in my normal anal retentive fashion, and the results are below. I'll need to make a few changes. The one below is fine tuned for my particular car. The version I'd make up for general consumption would be for a stock 1600 motor.

I need a couple of pieces of information about a stock motor (as I've never really had one.) Speak up please if you know:
    Recommended oil viscosity
    Oil capacity
    Spark Plug
    Spark plug gap

If you see any glaring errors or omissions, likewise sing out.

Thanks in advance,

Spalding

Below is a lo-rez version of the .pdf layout. The flat page gets folded as shown.
[Click on the images to see them full size]

Thumbs Up
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tune-up and Maintenance Cheat Sheet Reply with quote

This is some very good work !!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: