Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Tin
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin Reply with quote

What is the best set up for Offroad/Street legal for engine tin. I have put a 3" Body lift already and plan to run the internal Oil cooler with an extra oil cooler in the side vent with fan. (1)Do you still need all of the original tin or can some be removed? (2) What do you do to seal off the tin to body with the lift in place? (3) I have a different engine that the original '73, it has heater ducts off the shroud that have been capped off. However there a "thermostat" runs through the heads to a flap inside the shroud. (4)What is it for and (5)do I still need it.

Regards,

Saddlesore
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Thing that run lift and external coolers and fans have no need for the engine tin. Some folks seal the engine compartment to keep out dust other keep it wide open to let the dust fly right by. For the best oil cooler ever check out Setrab at airccoled,net

[url] http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=ECO0039&cartid= [/url]

Use this and engine tin is a joke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Would I still want the top tin above the fins with the cylinder numbers or loose those also?. Also which cooler and fan set up do you recommend single or double, and does that mean get rid of the regular cooler in the shroud? Lastly what is the thermostat attached to the flap in the shroud for? sorry for all the questions.

Saddlesore
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Would I still want the top tin above the fins with the cylinder numbers or loose those also?. Also which cooler and fan set up do you recommend single or double, and does that mean get rid of the regular cooler in the shroud? Lastly what is the thermostat attached to the flap in the shroud for? sorry for all the questions.

Saddlesore

NO do not loose any of the air directing tin. You can even put all the other tin on and not be concerned with the gap, unless the ugly look bothers you and it will all assist cooling. I do a full flow and keep the stock cooler. The thermostat attached to the flaps closes air to the shroud during engine warm up to assit the oil to reach operating temperature faster. This is a good set up. It is always best to leave that in place if your set up will allow it. But an oil cooler thermostat will provide nearly the same advantage. I want to louvre the nose of my offroad Thing and put a dual sertab inside the front of my Thing with long SS oil lines with AN fittings back to the engine. This would give me nearly 8 quarts of oil and no cooling problems ever. There are two ideas. One is to put a double on the driver's side and the other is to put singles on both sides with thermostats on each. If your budget allows Sertab you will be amazed at what they offer. The Trujillo Brothers out of Ensenada run them on their Class 12 Thing Baja racer with no cooling issues ever. Nascar and other SCCA use them wiht unfaulted results. Thye beat the pants off of all the other kiddie car oil coolers out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: