Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible Specialties side curtain kits
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwflvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Convertible Specialties side curtain kits Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with the side curtain kits that Convertible Specialties has listed on eBay?

eBay Motors: VW THING SIDE CURTAINS -NEW (item 260114231161 end time May-09-07 16:27:15 PDT)

I have a friend that needs curtains but can't afford the $600 plus for the GMW or Thing Shop ones.

Thanks for your help. Vince
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them, their shop is a few miles away.
For the price not bad. You have to cut the old material away and the new fastens with velcro. The windows do not open well, but they are easy to pull off and put in the trunk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wa6usa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got them, they were easy to install, however removing the old windows from the frames takes a long time. The small vent windows on the fronts are a nice feature. Worth the money IMHO.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set from them before my fire at the end of July last year. I am having problems getting the rivets out of the old frames. Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nwflvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Side curtain rivets. Reply with quote

I used to grind the head of the rivets off and then use a small punch to drive the rivet out of the foot. It wasn't an easy job for sure.
Do you have to get the rivets out to install this window kit? Thanks. Vince
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa6usa wrote:
,,,,The small vent windows on the fronts are a nice feature. Worth the money IMHO.

The small vent windows are a poor copy of the original windows. They fold in instead of out and are not smooth. They actually hang up on the frame when you open them.
My biggest complaint is that the windows do not lay flat. The whole velcro system makes a very loose window. I offered to leave my frames with them to be sewn on, but they declined. It was easier to sew me up a set??

We went with StaFast instead of vinyl. The top is a 11 out of 10 for fit and quality. I would give the windows a 6 of 10. We made a cash deal for $300/300 for the top/windows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nwflvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Conv Specilaties windows Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and pictures. I think I will investigate other options. Vince
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: