Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How hard to bring this down to stock?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wa6usa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: How hard to bring this down to stock? Reply with quote

[img] https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/350599.jpg [img]

Don't know why my image won't post???I would like to bring this back to stock height and wheels, is this a major job after it's been lifted?
I would gladly swap for stock rims and tires.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed your photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry, I don't know much about raising or lowering suspensions...
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's just had the suspension lifted. Any particular reason you want to bring it down? Just curious.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
wa6usa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Looks like it's just had the suspension lifted. Any particular reason you want to bring it down? Just curious.

Handles like an old Jeep with no roll bar. Frankly I don't trust the car in tight turns or in quick maneuvering. It's great in the Dirt and off road. Like I said in my first post, anyone in So. Calif. want to swap Tires & Rims?
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: bringing it down Reply with quote

I agree looks like suspension only. No evidence of a body lift. That would be a ton of work.

Look to see if there are adjusters on the front beam. That would be a quick step to lower front. As for rear, most likely it has been re-indexed a couple notches. This is not difficult but will take a little time with the right tools.

If those are issues, it is a simple fix you should be able to do with no cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa6usa wrote:
Handles like an old Jeep with no roll bar. Frankly I don't trust the car in tight turns or in quick maneuvering. It's great in the Dirt and off road.

Are you missing the sway bar? If it is missing, I'll bet you'll be happier putting a sway bar back on it then simply lowering it back to stock. It's not much higher than stock now.

I agree with Ziggy, there's probably front adjusters that will allow you to change the height in 15 minutes with a jack and a wrench. The cheapest and least complex way to raise the rear is to re-index the spring plates, which can chew up an entire weekend. Some people put on rear adjusters too, which again means you can go back to stock in a few minutes with a wrench and jack stands. Crawl under the rear and see if you spot something like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That threaded screw next to the arrow is an adjuster. If they went really wild, there may even be some adjusters on the torsion tube mounted to the body near the front of the transmission, but those are a lot of work to install.

(you almost had the image tags correct, you just had to remove the spaces between the url and the [img]. Those tags are picky to prevent people from using them to inject malicious programs into your web browser.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wa6usa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ziggy and Ian, looks like I have an adjustable front beam, the rear I'll check in daylight tomorrow. I have a pending offer to swap wheels and I'd like to get stock height to fully appreciate what the VW engineers originally designed. I always trust original designs over shade tree modifications.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: