Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seems They Can Shoot Purdy Good In Nevada Too...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
It's Alive! It's Alive!

Indeed, it is. After a long day of dicking with this killer motor, cleaning it and adjusting this and that, Christopher and I finally put it in an hour ago. I put about a pint of fuel in the "new" tank, and turned the key. Power went through the harness, through the ignition switch, and back through the harness to the coil, and BAM! Dat' Sucka' Be Runnin'!

More later... time for a bottle of wine!

Kickass!! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:

...An Artist: with a steady hand for tiny paint-brush lettering. This person gets to number the 500-plus holes in the bus,...

There's your vanity plate! "533HOLZ" or whatever number the final count comes to.

And then shoot a couple holes through the plates, just for good measure! Smile

George
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
kombisutra wrote:
Needs:

4 more panes of pop-out glass (already have frames)

Are you looking for freebies?

Donations my good man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugboy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
kombisutra wrote:

...An Artist: with a steady hand for tiny paint-brush lettering. This person gets to number the 500-plus holes in the bus,...

There's your vanity plate! "533HOLZ" or whatever number the final count comes to.

And then shoot a couple holes through the plates, just for good measure! Smile

George

but then you would have to add those holes to the count .....doh!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you pre-planned how many holes you'd put in the plates...then you're all set!

However, unharmed plates would serve as a nice counterpoint to the whole (hole?) bus!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I was sure the wiring was gonna be fked from all the bullets *edit* I just saw where you did a new harness. Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm back... big, big, weekend. Pictures coming.

Yes, still looking for popout glass, so yes, if you're local, and want to put your fingerprint on this cool project... I'll put em' in. Toybob kicked down the first two panes and one of the two stationary panes... four more popout panes needed. I'm reusing the OG frames WITH bullet holes in them, but obviously the glass is ALL gone.

Ok, so I landed on the bus Thursday night and dragged the thing back from Mink's digs in Sac, back west out to Willits. Next morning, started reaming-out throttle and clutch cable tubes with a very stiff 12' section of 1/8th inch wire chucked into a drill. Both tubes were thoroughly packed with dirt. Mind you, this thing was so stripped, there wasn't even cables in it! In fact, the only things left on this thing were:
1)beltline trim
2)front bumper
3)oh shit handle
4)battery strap
5)parking brake handle (bent 90 degrees to floor)
6)brake pedal
7)clutch pedal
8)throttle pedal (found in the pile of dirt and broken glass on cargo floor)
9)headlight switch (also on cargo floor)
10)4.5 pop-out frames
11)the driver's seat bottom

That's all that was left of this thing.

Yesterday at 4:30pm, Chris and I jumped in it, I turned the key in the ignition, and the motor roared to life. I released the parking brake (now completely straightened by Christopher's talented metalsmithing), stepped on the clutch pedal and pushed the correct 66-67 shifter forward into first gear. Slowly, I released the clutch, and slipped the power from the throaty 1600 to the 67 transaxle. With a gentle pressure on the bullet-dented re-installed throttle pedal, the cable pulled the pict 34 open a little bit and off we went! I pumped the brake pedal to confirm the solidity and function of the 6 re-used, honed-out brake cylinders and the bus responded with even, symetrical braking. Out onto the road, I shifted through the gears up to 3rd and began powering us up a fairly steep hill nearby, and no problem, the engine produced beefy power. Towards the top, I downshifted to second, then turned us around with the new steering wheel and steering box, that earlier in the day I blasted-out with paint thinner at 100psi (this doner box was full of sand and shmegma). I pushed down on the shifter, pulled it over to the lower left and into reverse it went. I backed us up and it didn't pop out. Now headed down the hill, I began burning-in the re-used brake shoes and found them effective... screetching the tires once. At the bottom, I shifted into forth, and imagine that, fourth gear held too!

More to come, but super busy trying to catch up on responsibilities back in the Bay Area.

Thanks for the support, you guys are part of why this thing is so fun!
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:snipersmile: :2gunfire: Blue Bus Pray

been gone for a bit but good job so far
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work so far, but we need more pictures!

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I PM'd ya.

K
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:

Yesterday at 4:30pm, Chris and I jumped in it, I turned the key in the ignition, and the motor roared to life. I released the parking brake (now completely straightened by Christopher's talented metalsmithing), stepped on the clutch pedal and pushed the correct 66-67 shifter forward into first gear. Slowly, I released the clutch, and slipped the power from the throaty 1600 to the 67 transaxle. With a gentle pressure on the bullet-dented re-installed throttle pedal, the cable pulled the pict 34 open a little bit and off we went! I pumped the brake pedal to confirm the solidity and function of the 6 re-used, honed-out brake cylinders and the bus responded with even, symetrical braking. Out onto the road, I shifted through the gears up to 3rd and began powering us up a fairly steep hill nearby, and no problem, the engine produced beefy power. Towards the top, I downshifted to second, then turned us around with the new steering wheel and steering box, that earlier in the day I blasted-out with paint thinner at 100psi (this doner box was full of sand and shmegma). I pushed down on the shifter, pulled it over to the lower left and into reverse it went. I backed us up and it didn't pop out. Now headed down the hill, I began burning-in the re-used brake shoes and found them effective... screetching the tires once. At the bottom, I shifted into forth, and imagine that, fourth gear held too!

Congrats, Brian!

I wonder how many decades ago it was that it last drove a mile under its own power. Can't wait to see it in "mobile" form at the Bugorama!!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:

Kool piece of writing right there! Cool

I bet it felt just like that too. Is the fat grin off your face yet? Laughing
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyroman wrote:

"Is the fat grin off your face yet?"

Yes, I'm happy, but one of the problems with this project -even though I know it won't be needing any bodywork- is that once your face is out from under one job, your eyeballs can't help but observe 47 other things that also need to be installed! But to answer your question, yeah, we're over the biggest hump, that, converting the otherwise useless eyesore into a functioning heap, quite able of getting out of it's own way; the Kimbrough Towbar has been removed.

Some details to mention.

When I rolled the engine over on a big metal cart to work on it, the castering wheels stuck on a concrete break, the cart tipped over and the engine took a three-foot header... um, darn it. Glad it was my engine. The resulting damage was a bent crank pully, a bent alternator pully, the spring tab on the carb broke off, the coil took a serious hit and dent, and the Beetle muffler got pushed in at one of the tips. Hey, I didn't get hurt, and thats a lot more to say than some of our brethren who attempted to catch a falling motor... I know at least one guy who's back will never be the same. Try to be safe, let the damn thing fall, you can fix the broken stuff later. And so I did.

JB Weld "Quick" 5 minute epoxy has been used quite a bit on this thing so far. I took the top off the carb and re-attatched the spring flange with it, then I pulled the intake and outlet brass tubes out of the fuel pump, bead blasted them and re-inserted them with it. The ZF steering box I put in it was filled with shmegma and dickcheeze and after blasting the thing out with paint thinner, bead blasted it's cover and used JB Weld to repair a hole in it. Part of the battery tray that was corroded away was "glued back together" with it in order to better accept a real epoxy job later (thinking of pumping in contractor's two part concrete anchor bolt epoxy that comes in caulking tubes, then following it up with the omnipresent, extra-sophisticated, plywood battery tray for super strength. As previously written, I did indeed repair the long brake line just above the driver's side torque tube with... you guessed it, JB Weld. It only had a pin-hole and once I was able to burn-off the brake fluid with the propane torch (warning- it does burn), the metal was clean enough to accept epoxy. I slathered it over the same pin-hole with three coats and called it good (keep your e-brake cables adjusted!).

One more item that was remaining on the bus that I failed to mention, was the Master Cylinder. Hmm, one might think to change that thing out. If it proved futile, obviously I'd have to, but dispite wicked outside exfoliation to include major intergranular flaking, the insides of the cylider seemed to have remained oiled, amazingly I didn't even hone the cylinder. Dispite the black sediment in the bottom of the plastic cup, I opted to put it to the test. Seemingly impossible, the unit produced good pressure and didn't drip... too badly. Rather than risk breaking one of the three lines coming off of it by replacing it, I decided to risk my life instead and run it... it seems to work just fine (keep your e-brake cable adjusted!).

One of the more time consuming tasks was inventing a four-inch section of shift-shaft to extend the shorter (possibly single cab) section I installed and expected to fit. Being too short by four inches, I decided the fastest way to deal with the situation -being that the transaxle end was already safety wired at the shift coupling- was to "make" a proper extention with the remaining parts of the old corroded rod and another we scronged up. Basically, Christopher brazed-on a grub-screw male shaft end onto a grub-screw flange female section all told, 4 inches or so in lenghth. The measurement was estimated by having the tranny in neutral and the shift lever in the corrosponding neutral position. The forward section of the shift shaft was connected to the shift lever and the measurement of missing section estimated. An important alignment issue was ensuring the grub screws lined-up properly, in this case, 90 degrees offset. Tractor science at it's best. It works perfectly.

The floor mounted throttle pedal hinge was corroded away, so I removed it with an angle grinder and chisle. I used the chisle again to source a "new" piece from another bus and spent generous time mating the original pedal to this hinge with a new pin, and then attached it with two sheet-metal screws from the top (behind the pedal) and two 10mm nuts from under the floor. Bombproof.

The rear hatch hinge assemblies were oiled-up and the hatch bolted back into position. Amazingly -excepting having to replace one of the four nuts welded to the inside of the hatch channel- it went in easily and functions perfectly... had to grind-out a couple bullet dents though.

Speaking of bodywork, I think the driver's and passenger's doors got a little re-shaping when they were over at Minks, if so, you guys did a great job, they seem to close a lot better.

Next project will have me putting in the driver's windows and starting up on the popout rebuilds. I'll have to split the frames and insert the glass. Either I'll use bicycle tube for the inner seal, or just spluge black RTV and trim it when it's dry. Bicycle tube sounds cheaper, cleaner, and faster.

This weekend I'm flying up to Washington to visit Team Olympia and have a gander at the Eumclaw Show. While I'm there, I'm expecting to pick up the generously donated and "customized" decklid. Arthergunner, you get that thing yet? Done some shoot'n? I'm hoping to be hauling back the decklid, most of the missing glass, and possibly some more seats too, which reminds me: Fuzzy (Arnie) donated a good driver's seat to the project, thanks Arnie!

As it turned out, Christopher had a super, patina-perfect blue 65 apron and I simply traded the 66 for it.

I'll be off the project for at close to a week, but I'll try to get the lastest pictures I have up soon.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got the lid yet, but maybe today. I'll be able to put some holes Smile in it Saturday and bring it to you on Sunday.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I hope you're not too far from the show. Looking forward to seeing all the Pacific Northwest people. Ya'll are pretty much normal folks up there ain't cha? I don't gotta' worry about any peculiar customs? Do folks up there look the same? I think a little farther north they start talking kinda' funny... and further up from there, I think booze is a main food group.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
I don't gotta' worry about any peculiar customs?

PM me for the secret handshake. Laughing

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Speaking of bodywork, I think the driver's and passenger's doors got a little re-shaping when they were over at Minks, if so, you guys did a great job, they seem to close a lot better.

I didn't touch the passenger door, but I banged my arm on the left door enough times that it was high time to change it. Amazing what you can do with a 2x4 properly positioned as a fulcrum in the doorjamb!
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decklid arrived via UPS today! It was here when I got home. Can't wait to shoot it!
Very Happy
-gunner

P.S. The hinges are pretty bad. If I have time, I will try to get what's left of them out. Anyone have any new hinges they can donate?

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is crazy Laughing
stephenmullens Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
The decklid arrived via UPS today! It was here when I got home. Can't wait to shoot it!
Very Happy
-gunner

P.S. The hinges are pretty bad. If I have time, I will try to get what's left of them out. Anyone have any new hinges they can donate?

Take some pics at the range!

You are going to a range right? Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: