Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where does this go ...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Where does this go ... Reply with quote

I don't know where this is supposed to be plugged into. My backup lights don't work so I suspect it has something to do with them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this go ... Reply with quote

J Flare wrote:
I don't know where this is supposed to be plugged into. My backup lights don't work so I suspect it has something to do with them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the same question but I know that doesn't have to do with the backup light. I think that cable is for the tranny sensor, I haven't seen one installed yet but I heard that Things use to be equiped with a flywheel sensor for something. My best explanation Laughing
But if someone have an idea for what that thing is used for ?? I'll be happy to know about it too. Very Happy
Regards
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as long as im at it.......

Shouldn't I be able to run a single wire from the sensor on the trannie (located on the front side) to the coil for the back up lights??

I did this and get nothing?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions-that box in the upper right of your engine compartment is for the VW Diagnostic test-they used to have a computer to plug into that and it would give them info on your cars system-it is in the back of the Bently Manual under the FI section. The Thing did not have a flywheel sensor-that was for FI.

Too hook up your reverse lights run a wire from you + side on your coil with an in line fuse to the reverse light switch on the nose cone of your tranny and hook to one of the terminals. Fron the other terminal run a wire to your reverse lights. Turn your ignition key to the 1st stop and put your car in reverse and go check-it should be working-if not then get out a volt meter or test light to verify that you are getting power to the switch and then from the switch. Also check your reverse bulbs.
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Where do I hook the wire on the reverse lights? I would have to think that there is an existing exposed connection.

Just to the left of the air cleaner in the pic by the red wire I have a black plug that comes from the wiring loom. My guess is that for the reverse lightd to plug into?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is how it goes...the orig wire that ran from the + side of the coil to the reverse switch was black in color. Remember you need to put an in line fuse here just in case something shorts!! The wire running from the other terminal on the switch is also black. It runs up by the starter and in a wire loom behind the oil bath cleaner and to a 4 plug terminal on your passenger rear light. You should be able to grab the 4 plug terminal which lies just below your rear light-put you hand inside the engine compartment and at the bottom of the light assembly should be a wire loom that is connected to the inside of the engine compartment body with wire holders. At the bottom of the engine compartment should be the 4 wire terminal. The blue wire is for the reverse lights-it should tee off on one side with one wire going to the passenger light and the other running hidden in the metal to the drivers side reverse light. The other side of this terminal for the blue wire should be connected to your reverse light wire. It may be easier to remove the oil batsh cleaner and trace some wires and secure everything properly. Let us know how it goes!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rubber 2 wire plug is for the induction sensor that goes on the #1 spark plug wire and is tied to the diagnostic port.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was it!!!

Hooked em and they both work. Took it for a spin around the block in reverse Laughing

Thanks for the help!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: