Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

buying thing this week in New Orleans with water damage
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
McDrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: buying thing this week in New Orleans with water damage Reply with quote

My question is the car comes with another motor that runs great and has a new clutch, the one in it turns over but has no compression, should I try to replace all the gaskets or should I put the new motor in? Car was a daily driver before the storm water just came up to heads. All the electrical seems good, Everone tells me it is relatively easy to replace a motor in one of these things, I just havent worked on a Vw yet. Thanks
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapping a VW engine is a piece of cake - remove a cable, a fuel line, 4 wires, 4 bolts and it's free. It's light enough that you can drop it with two jacks and some wood - if you don't care about the engine, you can just let it drop on an old tire. If you've got all the tools lined up and you know what you're doing, you can have it out in about an hour. Your first time it'll probably take you an afternoon.

Many years ago at VW shows, they'd have races where the teams would pull an engine, roll the car for some distance, put the engine back in, then drive the car some distance. The winners could do this in a few minutes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian's correct. It's almost too easy to believe.

My first Thing engine removal was Christmas of '81. I was home from college for winter break. We opened presents in the morning and by afternoon, it was 75 degrees - a real warm streak. Using the Idiot book, I followed the step-by-step instructions. It literally took 45 minutes. Putting it back in was about twice that, but still surprisingly easy for a novice.

My more recent engine took longer to get in because I had to dismantle the top end to get it in (dual carb and linkage is installed AFTER the rest is slid upwards into place - cramped working conditions).

It almost takes longer to find your tools and prepare your worksite than it does to get the engine in and out. Go for it!

Mark

PS About flood damage: the most notorious rust area for Things is the rocker, especially near the fenders. I would make sure to flush any saltwater residue out of them if it exists. The good news is that Danish made replacement panels are now available for a reasonable cost. You may also want to drain and refill the tranny. There is a vent hole above the shifter nosecone that could allow water into the case at about the same level as the top of the cylinder heads. A little PM never hurt....
McDrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for the info I look forward in getting started with this thing.
Go-SpeedRacer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things to think about buying a Katrina car. I bought a Katrina flood damaged Thing to get body parts off of. Since I did not care out the engine, which was seized on mine and I never bothered to open it to see what was up, just pulled it and it still sits in my garage. One day I will throw it out.

Either way, there is most likely a lot more damage than it appears, I could not believe the amount of rust, especially under the fuel tank, the front beam was really bad, the entire front suspension was bad as well, the tunnel was filled with yuk. The pans were completely shot. Like I said earlier, bought mine for the body which was completely straight, not one dent. All the electrical was pretty much toast, all corroded up, heater tubes will full of god knows what.

Just remember it was probably fully submersed in water for at least one month, maybe longer. But if you can get a deal take it. I paid $1150 for mine, since I already had another Thing, was just looking at it as a donor anyway. Check the bottom of your doors, they are probably pretty rusted up. Check all the spot where water would have just sit, even after the flood passed.

Good Luck.
krewe01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see another Thing owner close by. Im in Abita Springs La
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: