Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Online comedy
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Online comedy Reply with quote

1971 Volkswagen : Thing Type 181
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Volkswagen-THI...dZViewItem
Contacted the seller (car dealership). Asked about the year? Asked where the engine came from (not even close to what came with the car) and where the remainder of the engine compartment tin was?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

His response ... and I quote ... "Who realy care"

Rest of the car looks nice, but, I wonder what this one's been through.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is a few miles up the road from me. I've been thinking about going over there to look at it. I'll bet they bought it at a used car auction for about $2500.
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do ... let us know if it's suspicious. Looks good on the outside anyway.
mharney wrote:

miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah looks like a 73 but im sure been repainted lots bondo probably missing the heater up front. wrong front seats or some type funky covers.

i guess that engine tin was an option on that model along with the oil bath Smile

I bet whoever buys it wont even look close at it i bet its all fiberglass and bondo and looks great at 10 feet :0
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miscreantgnomie wrote:
yeah looks like a 73 but im sure been repainted lots bondo probably missing the heater up front. wrong front seats or some type funky covers.

i guess that engine tin was an option on that model along with the oil bath Smile

I bet whoever buys it wont even look close at it i bet its all fiberglass and bondo and looks great at 10 feet :0

Exactly. Probably put together from many sources to take advantage of the rising price of Things.
mharney wrote:

suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few Things I noticed.

1. They didn’t seem to mask anything when they painted the interior. The interior door handles are painted yellow, the ash tray is yellow and I think the knobs are painted too. Door strikes are painted and so is the rubber dash padding along with the wiper motor cover. Windshield latches are painted too.

2. Stuff that is missing. Fender beading is gone. (and that stuff is universal and dirt cheap) They don’t have complete edge trim on the interior door pockets. (it only goes half way around the opening.) Windshield wipers and arms (That is going to suck when it starts to rain). Post for passenger side wiper arm is gone too. Dash padding for the glove box is gone. Passenger side mirror is gone. Engine tin is missing (Very bad thing for engine longevity) Oil bath filter.

3. Stuff that is just messed up. Wrong front turn signals. Those are from an older Bug or way early Thing. Like a 1969-70 model. The front fenders are missing the tabs that bolt them to the bumpers. This leads me to believe they are fiberglass fenders. I think the rear fender tabs are missing too. Front and rear tires are not the same size. The rims are not Thing rims and I doubt they are 14”. The front apron doesn’t have three holes where the missing VW emblem is suppose to be. Either an aftermarket front apron or a repair job from someone who doest really know Things. (There may be front end damage..?? I would check the trunk panels to see if they are straight and not tweaked from a front end wreck.) There is an odd toggle switch on the dash. (What does that go to?) I don’t see a hazard switch knob or a timer knob for the gas heater. Defrost/heat lever is missing from the dash area. The steering wheel is from an earlier Bug or a military wheel (I doubt it is the military one. Do to the Mexican rear tail light setup.)

4. Engine stuff. Exhaust is a cheap Monza one. There is a vacuum line missing from the distributor. The carburetor has an extra large spring attached to the throttle cable. Missing tin mentioned above. I also love the silver spray paint on the fan shroud. Once again they didn’t bother to mask. It is on the electrical wires and over-spray is all over the generator. If I am not mistaken that is also a single port engine and I have no idea what kind of carb is on that but it isn’t right either.

I think this guy might be a snake-oil salesman preying on the uninformed that have an urge for a Thing. I have a feeling that this is a Bondo special with a smoke screen of shiny yellow paint. (Which is suppose to be SEMI_GLOSS not glow in the dark yellow)

So far the bids are up to 5,100 and the reserve is not met. I sure wouldn’t touch it. There is too many things messed up and you’ll need to spend a fortune just getting it to a daily drive status.

Last edited by suntour on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For got to mention the “jesus” handle for the passenger is missing also.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed something else. Why are there ribs on the engine compartment lid? I have not seen that before. German or really old pre-72 Thing lid?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is s Euro 1971 Thjing. Not a US Import..

They came from the factory with a

Single port head engine
Small front turn signals with the correct fenders to match the turn signals
The Vin number starts 181 (the third number tells the year as in "1" as in 71
Euro engine deck lid has extra side ribs.
Euro steering wheel
single switch on steering column

wiper switch was on the dash on a 71

This car will have a swing axle rear NOT IRS

But it has elephant feet rear lights which are wrong for a 71 Euro.
These tail lights are later lights (not factory from 73 or 74) perhaps later Hella from Mexico (notice the black trim rather than the silver ring that is on US import tail lights.

The paint job is obviously a cover up (they forgot to paint the seats and tires. Nasty nasty masking job. Lazy parts removal process,,,

Missing
passenger side mirror
wiper arms, passenger side wiper bearing, blades and connecting rod
front emblem
factory oil bath air cleaner assembly
vaccum line from dist to carb (must run coyote ugly)
incorrect dash switches. Appear to be non VW
Both bumpers are twisted and not attached at all fender points
Weird exhaust system for sure..

I bid on this car up to $2500 just for grins and giggles. Notice at $7100 reserve has still not been met..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is indeed an "Euro" 181, then it may also be a military issue, which means the lack of front "VW" enblem is correct, and the wiper switch will be on the steering column and not on the dash. There are other countless items to check it's true origin, but I guess we are not hashing out it's originality.

Personally, I hope he gets every penny he seeks. Just makes my true 71 military 181 with all it's military radio equipment intact worth what I'll be asking when it goes up for sale soon.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Bucko. All this high dollar Thing sales is just making the rest of us owners of high priced classic cars. Yowza.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you're back, Bucko! Tired of working on your bus and came back to the Thing-side for a break? I hope all well...
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
Just noticed something else. Why are there ribs on the engine compartment lid? I have not seen that before. German or really old pre-72 Thing lid?

http://vw181.skynetblogs.be/post/4480179/enginelid

My 1977 euro181 (made in Puebla) has the small ribs.
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few remarks to add at postings above:

- the steeringwheel indicates that it is an early model, so '71 could be right. In 1973 till 1980 they put the 4-spoke wheel in (Thing and Euro181).

-the large rib on the engine tin was used until 1972.

- the front turningsignals are wrong indeed, not used on things or euro181. Probably beetle?

- the fenders are euro181-type (small foot for turningsignal). The lack of hooks around the headlight indicates: or civil model or changed part.

- dashboard lacks the original lightswitch. No civil lightswitch nor the miltaryswitch can be seen. There is a small hole, which indicates there was a civil lightswitch.

-Front passengerdoor is a door from the back (lack of keylock).

-Rearlights... probably added later on? They made things in mexico in 1971, but i don't think they used those lights.

To bad we can't see the dashboard properly...if there were 2 fuseboxes (one on each side of the steeringwheel) it indicates it was a miltary one which was modified.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my apologies. For some reason I was convinced it was a 73’. I didn’t bother to read the title and just guessed by the side vents and elephant tail lights it was a butchered 73’.

It should have clicked in my head yesterday when I was reading this guys website about his Thing.

http://vwandco.skynetblogs.be/tag/1/ThiNG

I was even thinking it looked a lot like the one on eBay but I kept telling myself the eBay one was a Mexican 73’.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
Glad to see you're back, Bucko! Tired of working on your bus and came back to the Thing-side for a break? I hope all well...

I'm just tired of working, period!

The Vanagon Westy is indeed coming along. I've learned quite a bit on those early FI systems. Got the engine purring, and the interior is looking great. Now for the outside body work.

Anyone out there in Thing land interested in a 1971 Type 181 with ALL of the military options, including the radio, battery box, Military police light and sirens (horns), etc.? I'd love to see it go into the hands of a Thing purist.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: