Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet kit
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Carpet kit Reply with quote

I've seen carpet kits advertised in Jbugs et al, and I find them strangely compelling. However, I don't often see them in Thing pictures. Does anyone have a carpet kit in their Thing and what do you all think of them?
I know they didn't come carpeted but I like the thought of a "clean" looking interior.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few convertables and it does not take long for that clean looking carpet to be real ugly. I would stick to a painted floorboard with or without duck boards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet kit Reply with quote

I don't have the full set of carpet. I have four pieces that just cover the swiss cheese mats. Carpet makes the car a bit quieter, which is nice. Don't forget to carpet the package shelf, and consider putting a layer of noise reducing matting underneath.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laugh when I see carpets in a Thing. They are good for traping moisture and rusting out your floor pans.
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no rust on the original pans now and have sealed them with a good coating of Rust Bullet, however, the floors and the package shelf have dents from years of use in an orchard. I was hoping the carpet would dress up the areas.

I know that sedans and convertible beetle's came with carpeting. Was trapped moisture an issue with them as well? I've seen a lot of bugs with rusted floor pans so maybe it was.

I like the look of the Cap'n's interior. I also like the idea of a quieter ride and the feel of carpet rather than metal beneath my feet. I think my wife might even ride in it if I carpeted it.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the carpet in addition to the swiss cheese mats, rather than instead of them. The advice I was given by Greg @ German Motor Works is that the mats allow the moisture to dissipate. The caveat being that here in southern California rust isn't much of an issue anyway unless you're near the coast. The carpets I got from GMW came with a half inch foam backing. Really helps with the sound.
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had carpet in mine and changed to duckboards. I really like the fact that you don't have to worry about getting them dirty.
I still have the carpet if your interested you can have it. I will be at the Classic in a couple weeks.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My near term plan:

Por-15 on pans...

Cheese Mats (check, have)

Auto Carpet Padding

Carpet

I'm pretty sure it'll all stay dry and rust free. No glue or spray holding anything in place mind you. It'll make for easy removal if it gets wet, and easy to remove and store when necessary.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used velco to hold down the carpet in the cargo area. I can remove it if it gets wet, and if I decide I don't want it any more the velcro will peel off (at least I hope it does...)
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Velcro will work fine - and be easy to remove.

My new stereo speakers are Velcroed into place. No rattles, no drama. When I want to park it in a henky area, I'll just rip 'em out and put 'em in the boot.

Good solution.
IXLR8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Carpets Reply with quote

I got a big chunk of indoor/outdoor carpet, removed the seats, and cut it to fit. Tan, looks great in a Blizzard White car. Because it was one piece, and was cut to fit, I don't have any problem with it moving around on me. Keeps the car much quieter.

Has never been in the rain so moisture isn't a problem, but just in case, did the POR-15 on the floors first and also cut small holes in the carpet over the drain holes in the floor pan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: