Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock horsepower compared to 1776-1835cc
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billthebassist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: stock horsepower compared to 1776-1835cc Reply with quote

What is the stock horsepower coming out of my 1600cc? The title says 18hp, if this is so, why are all the hondas Evil or Very Mad with the same amount of displacement so much faster? I am also looking to upgrade to a 1776cc-1835cc motor? My question is with thisadded displacement will my car be that much faster? I need someone with experience to help me out here. thanks for all your info
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock is about 60 but all depends on state of tune.

And yes your car will be faster with a properly tuned bigger engine provided it has more power then your stocker.

Cant really tell you how much faster your car will be though, accurately at least.

CTD Fabrication
billthebassist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i realize you can't tell me accuratly, but what i want to know is with the bigger engine will the hp gain be very noticable? also how can i tune the stocker to put out more horsepower? thanks once again
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say anything over 5 hp will be noticable.

I could notice when i had an extra 50lbs in my car.

You might think about doin a little port n polish job to your heads, merged header, dual kads, ratio rockers, cdi, even a small cam change if you wanna get into it. You never know, you just might pick up an extra 20hp.

CTD Fabrication
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the engine you have in your car, DP or SP you have between 48 and 60 horsepower. if you were to build a1776 or an 1835 you will definitly notice the difference. you could put up to 150 horses, but you will probably wanting a conservitave or daily driven vw. so you should shoot for 100 hp to keep up with, or beat hondas. that is if thats your goal? you will notice the extra horsepower for sure. night and day difference!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will notice a big difference. And if you are going to build a 1776 or 1835 why not build a 1915. Will be the same cost! And is the biggest bag for the buck. Add dual carbs or a good single to that set up and you have a good DD and power when you want it. Add a 74 crank and you will really like it.
68-popouts
61-raptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6.90 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as the reason hondas with the same displacement are faster is a few things. 1-even though they have about the same cc's they have more stroke. stroke equals torque and horsepower. 2-they are fuel injected.this doesnt necessarilly make a ton more power but it is more efficient. 3- they have 4 valves per cylinder. that allows more fuel with less of a wild cam.
these reasons are pretty general but sad to say they are true. they are so true that a company has been trying to make a 4 cylinder head for a vw motor for a while but i dont they have got it figured out yet.
6.90 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah...these guys all like to argue with me but i say 1776 or any stock cranked vdub motor is pretty soft. unless you have some compression, a decent size cam,dual carburation, and some good heads your not gonna be beating much. if you do decide to go this rout and race anything....leave hard at the light and once you are out in front(because a bug can leave on any car) just let off and ask the other guy what happened to him. whatever you do dont build an 1835. the lil bit of displacement over a 1776 isnt worth the cracked cylinders
caromin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.90 bug wrote:
....leave hard at the light and once you are out in front(because a bug can leave on any car) just let off and ask the other guy what happened to him.

6.90, I like that, think it will work for my 1600...lol
Sandrail
Explorer rail build!

'Rollin Dirt Video!
billthebassist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say a 1835 cc will crack cylinders? I"m new to the engine world, and i am open to not building an 1835. what are the pros and cons of building a 1776 compared to an 1835cc? like i said i'm new to the engine world and i'm open to just about anything. share the wisdom. thanks
Kafer Wolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read that all you have to do to convert a 1600 to 1776 is replace the stock cylinders with larger ones. the stock crankshaft will still work.

but can you still use your stock pistons? or should you use larger piston rings?
Travis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kafer Wolf wrote:
i've read that all you have to do to convert a 1600 to 1776 is replace the stock cylinders with larger ones. the stock crankshaft will still work.

but can you still use your stock pistons? or should you use larger piston rings?

You need larger pistons and cylinders and you need to bore the case and heads.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kafer Wolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, stupid question- what will happen if i take a 1200cc case, bore it out to accept larger cylinders?
eh0s
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: engine build Reply with quote

1835cc is old school, it's been pretty much proven and tested you should go for 1914cc (94's) or 1776.

Go 94 Smile
6.90 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1835's for some have thinner cylinder wall thickness. because of it the are more prone to crack. my friends have also come to find they run a lil warmer than the thicker cylinder wall sizes. me myself suggest the 1776 or the 1915. the 1915 you will definetely feel the umph.
Az1967CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing.. you are looking at 1960's technology compared to 2000's!! Some big improvents have been made.

I had a 1641DP and a friend had a 1835.. I could not even hang with him even through the intersection I was toast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ice baller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 1641 with some mods... i can beat my friends 1776 ....not by a lot but i beat him. Very Happy
Vicious Wagons#1
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billthebassist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the 1915cc have thicker walls? the engine has more displacement so wouldn't the same problems with an 1835cc motor come into play with a 1915cc? thanks once again.
64hardtopbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can not compare a honda engine vs a bug engine. first of all the type 1 engines dates back to the early 1930's it's very old school design. 2nd, it's air-cooled.. most cars these days run a minimum of 9:1 compression even on turbo cars. high compression on a bug motor makes too much heat. 3rd. it's all in the head. honda's have 4 valves per cylinder vs 2 valves for bug. some honda engines are DOHC. 4th. they have brains. yes honda motors run on ecu which controls timing, fuel, air and fuel mixture, spark. and knocking. and probably last, bug engines were made for economy. people laugh at getting 30 mpg in the 60's remember?
ECBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The honda vtec is nasty too. It is actually like running two different profile cams in one engine. I am thinking of building a 1915 too. I've had Hondas for 19 years.
At a local drag strip Ive seen some bugs with 1915's in em beating the crap out of Hondas. An Acura GSR only has about 160hp and almost 3000 lbs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: