Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Shifter install
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ugmold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Empi Shifter install Reply with quote

I am having trouble getting my Empi Shifter to work correctly. I followed the instructions, using the 3/8ths spacer after measuring down 3/4 to the socket top. Reverse is the only easy gear. I have to hold the reverse lock to get it into 1st or 2nd. 3rd and 4th seem easier to get into....

The picture does not show the old reverse plate...do I need it?

Also the kit included a thin plate as well which is not pictured....jeeezz

Ugmold
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Shifter install Reply with quote

ugmold wrote:
I am having trouble getting my Empi Shifter to work correctly.

That's because 99.99% of all EMPI stuff SUCKS!

Every Mistake Passes Inspection

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ugmold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airhead22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if you can move the mounting plate to the left a little that should free up some movement so the shifter can throw the shift linkage to the right some more.
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I had an EMPI shifter in my bus, and it seemed to work fine.
You definitely need the original bottom shift plate, in the same location as it was when you removed the stock shifter. Then you need the riser, and the shifter assembly mounts over it with longer bolts. Once it's installed, you have to trial and error the adjustment of the shift plate, tighten the bolts and test until you can get all gears smoothly, and then tighten the bolts very tight so the shifter base won't move.

Mine worked OK, but it was just too tall, too upright and too chrome.

LeeE
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in my 79 bus until the cable inside snapped for the reverse lockout, so I bought a scat shifter for it, I then sold the 79 & bought a 59 singlecab that had the OG shifter(BORING Laughing ), so I dug out my old trigger with snapped cable, straightened it out, cut it down in height, replaced the inner cable & made a new shifter ball for it, now it gets used everyday without a problem. It's all about trial & error, just keep adjusting it as mentioned above, if I can get one to work in a 59, you can get one to work in your bus, BELIEVE ME! Laughing Laughing & good luck with it

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ugmold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Mintonman that looks great!

Well after reading the first response I got, and trying to get ready for my first roadtrip/camptrip, I put the old shifter back in. It works better now than before I pulled it out. The only minor trouble I had was it going into 4th (no big deal).

Also after reading LeeE post about the reverse lock plate being still needed, makes me want to try it again, but not til after this first roadtrip.

Thanks very much!

Ugmold
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! Your shifter probably needed an adjustment originally, they are pretty touchy if the base is just moved alittle bit, so when you get back & try again you'll probably get it after a couple tries. To fine tune mine I left the bolts pretty snug, to the point it wouldn't move when trying to shift then I would tap the base sides alittle with a hammer & try shifting again until it was super smooth. I aways put a BIG glob of wheel bearing grease on the end of the shifter aswell & if you have a grease gun squirting some down in the cup the shifter sits in doesn't hurt either. Good luck & let us know how you make out.................James(MINTONMAN) Very Happy
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the negative reply, but, if you do a search on EMPI you'll find out that most of it's junk. Another name to stay away from is GEX, they rebuild (..and I use that term loosely) engines.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all know empi is now junk(didn't you tell us already??) aswell as 90% of aftermarket shit. My shifter isn't empi anyway that I know of, it has no marking on it & besides, if your talented enough you can make anything work. This shifter isn't even ment to be used on a bus earlier then 61 due to the big ball on the end of the shifter that goes down into the linkage cup, but I got mine to work smooth as silk. I didn't like the stock shifter & wanted the trigger, so I did what any capeable person would do, alter it to your personal liking, WALA! The thing with GEX is it was NEVER a good company. Laughing
ugmold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the aditude I like Mintonman, I think after I understand the shifting chain/mechanisms I will be a little more patient with outcome. Like I said re-installing the old one proved to me it can get better if you fudge with it (a bit longer)

ugmold
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I would resurrect this post, as I recently solved the shifting issues that I was having with my shifter.

I was swapping out Empi for Empi, but could not get the new one aligned correctly.

It was solved by trial and error adjusting it in neutral, not in 2nd as is recommended with the stock shifter.

I managed to track down the Empi install instructions online.

rotdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: EMPI Shifter Install Reply with quote

Aloha From Hawaii, I wanted to share the small bit of info about an EMPI shifter for my 1978 Bay Window Bus. My humble friend who I call master old school VW mechanic used the 3/4" spacer and it is working AWESOME!!! He also mentioned the thinner 3/8" plate is for 1967 down and the thicker 3/4" is for 1968 up. I have driven to work every day for a week now without any hang ups at all! Round trip is 30 miles. People have oipnions about this shifter, but it work for me and I would deffinetly reccommend it for the low price of $75.00 new.
Hope I help some people out there. Aloha Rdog
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong?

Welcome to EMPI.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed an EMPI shifter today and it works well...install was super fast...but then again, I'd already spent the past few weeks installing a totally new drivetrain, including a Rancho-rebuilt tranny, and also inspected/replaced/greased all of my shift rod bushings, installed new shift rod boots, installed the CNC rod coupler sold by a guy in the Classifieds section, and tightened/safety wired all of the linkage bolts. When I first bought the '75 in April it had a very very wide X shift pattern...now it's a super compact H with zero uncertainty as to where each gear is. The shifter was cheap, and I know you get what you pay for with EMPI products, but all of the shifter's weaknesses seem easily rectified in the home workshop (e.g. replacing rivets with bolts/nuts).

Just wanted to say (for those considering them) that these shifters can work well, particularly if you've dealt with all of the usual sources of slop (coupler, bushings, ball inside tranny).

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a plan B as this set up will fail in a short time.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO these shifters have known failure points that can be enhanced to improve reliability. The main reason I see for them not working is that people try to install them in vehicles with well worn shift trains expecting the shifter to magically fix all the problems (which it's obviously not going to do). There are only so many things that can go functionally wring with a stick on a ball joint. The only area for which I'd love to see an improvement would be the spacer...perhaps I'll try to mill a new one from alloy, or weld a stronger steel one at a later date.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Shifter install Reply with quote

I wanted to share my experience with this shifter, since I’ve had mixed reviews about it and I know a lot of people struggle with it.
I ordered one and crossed my fingers in hopes of getting a “good one”. After a day of trying to adjust the shifter, I could only get it to shift between 3-4th. I walked away and the following day I drilled the holes bigger. The stock holes have quite a bit of movement front to back, but very little side to side. I’ve enlarged the holes of the base of the shifter with a step drill bit that goes up to 1/2” making a fatter oval. The step drill bit is important, I think, it would be no fun trying to enlarge this hole with a conventional bit.
Once done I set it down, eyeballed it in the center and boom, shifts like a champ. I can’t speak for durability, but the shifting feels very nice.
This is in a ‘70 bus and I used the shorter spacer. The taller spacer also worked, but the shorter one worked much better.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: