Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing brake shoes?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61deluxemicro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Thing brake shoes? Reply with quote

Are Thing brake shoes and 1969 Type 1 brake shoes the same? Or are Thing brake shoes wider?
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drums on things are wider than the rest.

Last edited by Ferretkona on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long fought and hardcore topic. Check out T-3 rear shoes. They have the same width as "real" Thing rear brake shoes. Many will argue this point. Those that have held a truly original Thing rear brake shoe know the truth. The others guess. Me, I just convert to four wheel disk brakes..... It is the 21st century after all... K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bciesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Me, I just convert to four wheel disk brakes..... It is the 21st century after all... K-mann

Not to hijack, but I was under the impression that without power assist, disk brakes do not offer any real performance advantage over drum brakes (other than being self-adjusting). Was I misinformed or have I overlooked a disk brake kit that adds power assist to the Thing?

I would love to move to disk brakes, but when you consider the need for new wheels and tires, the cost is not trivial, and if there is no real performance advantage, it becomes cost-prohibitive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of disc brakes and find then to be far superior in every way to drum brakes. I have some information on converting to disc brakes on the web page listed below.

http://veewiki.com/K-mann_4_wheel_brake_conversion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing brake shoes? Reply with quote

61deluxemicro wrote:
Are Thing brake shoes and 1969 Type 1 brake shoes the same? Or are Thing brake shoes wider?

Are you asking about front or rear? Front Thing shoes are basically the same as 66-67 Bug shoes. I "believe" that 69 front shoes are the same width as Thing front shoes, but Im not 100%. As far as I know, all std. Bug front shoes are the same from 66 forward.

Last edited by mattt on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
This is a long fought and hardcore topic. Check out T-3 rear shoes. They have the same width as "real" Thing rear brake shoes. Many will argue this point. Those that have held a truly original Thing rear brake shoe know the truth. The others guess. Me, I just convert to four wheel disk brakes..... It is the 21st century after all... K-mann

Thing rear drums are wider on the outside as Kona posted above, but they are not machined wider inside where the shoe rides.

I have seen a lot of Thing rear drums and shoes in my Things, and the shoe is the same width as T-1. I just measured a set of Thing rear shoes that I have, they are 1.5" wide. I just spoke with a local VW parts store that had T-3 rear shoes in stock. They are 1.75" wide. If Thing shoes were the same width as T-3 you should be able to mount T-3 shoes on the Thing backing plate. But you cant, if you want to run T-3 rear brakes you need T-3 drums, backing plates and shoes. Im not trying to start a war here, but correct info is essential. Im sure K-mann wont take it personally as we consider each other friends.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattt is correct. The point is correct info.
61deluxemicro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot guys! Hopefully I'll get my baja running over spring break.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if we can help//
westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi:
late T3 drums (4-lug) are 55mm wide

Thing brake pads are 40mm wide.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads are for calipers. Shoes are for drums. It is a terminology Thing.. There a tons of non Thing parts that work but I just went diving off Culebra and a guy there has a fleet of Things he rents. You should see the part he has fabbed to keep his Things going. Not Thing or even VW parts but they work for this tiny island. You should have seen the wiper motor set up I saw in Ponce machined parts on a marine wiper motor. Very creative... Again not Thing parts. A substitue is still a substitute.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: