Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Troublesome wiper motor
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Troublesome wiper motor Reply with quote

I knew that the wiper motor on the Thing can be a problem before I purchased mine, and mine currently doesn't work. I haven't been able to determine if power is making to the wiper. I see the wiring diagram (in german) that is posted in this forum. Is there a better one? I can't read german, and I can't determine which wires I'm looking for at the end of the steering column to check for power. I have a good ground at the wiper motor. Which of the other wires should be hot? I plan on pulling the motor out and greasing the bearings and getting it going. If needed, I'll be sending it to one of the members here that rebuilds them, but I need to get it working now so I can drive it safely.

Thanks
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check the wires at the motor (with the key in the ON position):

The Black with white stripe should be hot all the time.

With the wiper switch in the low speed position (first click from the bottom):

The Black wire should be hot.

With the wiper switch in the high speed position (all the way up):

The Black wire with the yellow stripe should be hot.

Make sure the ground wire (brown) is grounded at the body (behind the fuse box) and is very clean and secure.

The small plug at the bottom of the steering column (far left ) is the wiper switch plug. It should have 4 or five wires. They are the same color that are found at the motor.

Be careful if you take your motor apart, as the parts are easy to loose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis71bug,
Al Capulco is the guy you need to communicate with to possibly get your motor rebuilt.....or exchange yours for one that is already rebuilt.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=241037
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the switch and wiring up to the wiper motor and have good power and ground. I pulled the motor and have a question. If you look inside where the terminals connect to the body of the motor, the ground terminal on mine is loose (you can almost pull it out). Is it supposed to be connected to a wire or something, or is it just grounded to the body of the motor? I don't see anything where it would connect:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you zoom in on the picture, you can see the brass ground tab (left hand side of the terminal area) is not connected to anything.

Thanks
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just a ground connection, no wires are directly attached. However it does complete the park curcuit in that small opening behind the wire tabs. If you are getting power to the motor and it is not working than it will need to be repaired. The ground connection should be tight. But be carefull if you try to make it tight again as the connection is weak to begin with. You may want to try to apply 12 volts to 53b or 53 and just apply a ground wire to the case. If this does not work than it really needs to be rebuilt.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took another look at your pic and I don't see the flat brass tab that makes up your park circuit. You should have two in that small space. I only see one and the ground tab. If you look over on the right side behind tab 53e you may see were it has broken off. Also the wires from the brush plate look like they have been changed. It just a guess but I think someone has been in your motor before. Again it is hard to tell from the picture, but if that brass tab is broken then you will need to replace that too.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This eBay offering might be a good wiper motor......or a parts candidate for other wiper motors.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70s-VW-THING-Wiper-...dZViewItem
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all you wiper motor heads out there.
1 hour 53 mins left in the auction
@ $66.00
at least good for parts.....
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up my first thing (a '74 with dealer installed A/C).
Anyway, I've done searches on wiper problems and have seen now that apparently thing wiper motors are notorious for having problems.
I can't, though, figure out what might be wrong with mine.

I've checked all the wiring at the motor with a test tlight and all wires are functioning as they should, good ground and the plug on the steering column is inserted properly.

I took the motor cover off and placed the wiper switch in the low and high positions and I hear a small click in the motor and see the wires sort of jump. It seems to me that this shows the wiper switch is working correctly buy what can be said of the motor?

Please, help me out.

ghiafreek
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it needs a rebuild or good cleaning. Years ago, I carefully pulled mine apart on the kitchen table, cleaned it up and re-greased everything, and got it working again. It worked fine for a few years, now it sometimes sticks again.

When mine sticks, I can pop the cover and give the motor a little push with my thumb and it'll run again. If I give it a few drops of oil, it'll usually run for a few weeks without needing any help. I probably need a rebuild too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian I think it would be easier, instead of popping the cover just to reach outside and push the arm a little. That's what I do ;)

I'm itching to tear mine down and rebuild it. I remember a little wire inside had snapped off.
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian.
I gave the motor a little push start and started spinning away, but in the process one of the ends on the wiper that the wiper linkage screws into broke off....Damn! In the mean time I just superglued it back, its holding...for now.

Do I have to buy the whole assembly?

ghiafreek
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: