Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Much is it Worth
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matts4x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: How Much is it Worth Reply with quote

My 16 year old son bought a 1972 VW Safari. It has the factory swing axle with gear reduction. The car runs and drives well but as with old THINGS it is an expensive project for a teenager. HOW MUCH DO YOU ALL THINK HE COULD SELL THIS FOR? It is obviously a little rare in the US market anyway.

Any feedback would be appreciated. He is thinking of buying a VW bus if he can sell this for enough $
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba! You will find lots of resources, help, advice, experience, etc that will help you and your son with his Thing. Many topics, including Thing values, have been covered in the recent past and can be accessed via the "search" function at the top of the page. On the search page, just enter key words (such as "value") and select the Thing fourm and previous threads with that topic will be listed. For instance, there was a value thread updated just last week http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246411&sid=2d76e8ac7a9e95594544538049b584ca which even includes a blue-book value. Hope this helps!
Mark
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd do is look through the classifieds for a week or so to get an idea what to sell for. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs and drives well, what's the expense you're anticipating? It might not be a bad idea for a teenager. He'll be able to do most maintenance himself (especially if he tunes in here), and there's relatively little on it to go wrong. There's no computer chip to replace, no power anything, no air conditioner, no radiator, and it's lots of fun.

Plus, my wife always said that when she was in high school, a convertible was an automatic 10!
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, if the body is solid with little to no rust, keep the Thing. The value of good Things is rising, and the maintenance costs are very close to bus/bug.

I love Things with RGBs on the rear they drive very nicely.

Jan
1970 military Thing owner

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: