Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side view mirror problem... really
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Side view mirror problem... really Reply with quote

Okay, I bought the right side view mirror (original was missing) from the Thing Shop... on sale.

For the life of me I cannot adjust this mirror to get a useful view on it. The right side "window" does not help, but it seems as if there is something wrong with the mirror. I added a round, adjustable blind spot mirror to it, which makes it of use... but the mirror itself seems useless for what it is intended for.

Did anyone else out there get one of these mirrors and have problems?

I realize that this is not a big thinker issue... just curious if I blew $60.00 on the mirror.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a quality issue with it. I have a original and a Thing shop version I bought a few years ago. Original works no problem. Original glass is in tact rubber seal is cracked. Thing shop mirror developed flaws, the plastic cracked within a year or so. Adjusting it is all tough and never holds up right.

The one I bought was regular chromed steel, china, I think the new ones are stainless steel china but still pit.

Talk to the Thing shop, see what they say about em. I'm curious to know everyones elses opinions too. We are a talented bunch, just a matter of time before someone designs something better working than the original style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How *isn't* it useful? Is the mirror unclear, or are you having trouble finding the right angle to set it at? I generally set my side mirrors so that when I'm sitting straight, I can see a little of my own car at the edge, then I can move my head to see whatever I need.

That said, neither of my cars have right-side mirrors and I do just fine. Laughing

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find right side mirrors pretty useless in general unless they are convex. Autozone had a stickon convex mirror that pretty much covers the entire glass area on the stock Thing glass. Much better since the field of vision is much greater.

Mark
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be because it doesnt't have the "extra long" arm. I have both mirrors that my car has always had, but they are of equal length. Other '74s I've seen at shows have an extra long arm on the right side, which I've read is correct for the '74 (even though mine never had one). I think The Thing Shop only sells the regular Thing mirrors, which are bus mirrors with extensions, and are correct for both sides on '73s and the left side on '74s. The '74-specific right mirror not only has the longer extension on the bottom, but a longer upper arm.
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my mirror may be an aftermarket Thing Shop version though I can't say for sure. I don't think it is an original. I have a 74 with the extra long arm.

The problem I have is that the mirror will not stay adjusted. No matter what I do it always works itself loose within minutes of adjustment. Loctite didn't help. At this point it's like I don't even have a mirror there. Even if I could see the mirror it seems like the side curtains would block a lot of the view despite the longer arm.

Does anyone else have a problem with loose side mirrors? If so, what do you do to keep them snug?
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "right mirror arm longer" appears to be correct. Following is the response I got from the Thing Shop regarding my mirror problem:

"On the original Thing.. one was a long arm and the other was short arm.
I believe that the right one was the long one......and we have both that
are short......I don't have anything else sorry....."

Perhaps, noting that it is not the same as the original would help.

I adjust my mirrors so that I can see my Thing, however, with the Thing Shop "right mirror" I am seeing what is right next to the mirror.

The convex mirror addition makes this mirror useful.
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The treasure of which yousek is a rare bird indeed. I found the only option is to fork over the Euros and buy an OEM r/s '74 mirror from my good buddy Pierre Mucua in France. Not cheap but correct. He may not have any currently but he does get them from time to time. His user name is pjmucau. His website is www.181spirit.com.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre-J MACUA
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: