Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing a type 181 from Mexico
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandroCanovas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Importing a type 181 from Mexico Reply with quote

I found an amazing type 181 in Mexico & I am in the process of bring in it up to Oregon. I am wondering if any one can guide me thru this process, I imagine that I have to pay some taxes and proff ownership. I do not know which govt agency deals with this.

Gracias

Sandro Canovas
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Customs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me to bring up this recent find in mexico,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2192351&posted=1#post2192351

So whats this Thing in Mexico look like, got any pics :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Customs is a pain in the proverbial ass.

I've never, ever, had a good experience with them. Compared to experiences I had in Australia and New Zealand, the US Customs Service would earn a 1 on a scale of 10.

Unhelpful, arrogant, obtuse, I could go on and on.

Your best bet is to find a bonded shipping agent. It's a racket, but they have experience with Customs and for a fee, you're experience will be easy.
Talosian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a type 181 from Mexico Reply with quote

Hi;

You haven't said if it's drivable/registered, etc.

I live in Mexico now and just got my first Safari/thing. It is Mexican plated and from what I am told, I can drive it right across the border into the U.S.

Sometimes the easy way works best. If it is drivable and you can get/have the paperwork (ownership), you could have it trucked to the border and then drive it across.

Just my thoughts.

quote="SandroCanovas"]I found an amazing type 181 in Mexico & I am in the process of bring in it up to Oregon. I am wondering if any one can guide me thru this process, I imagine that I have to pay some taxes and proff ownership. I do not know which govt agency deals with this.

Gracias

Sandro Canovas[/quote]
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be related to the fact that cars 30 years old dont need smog control? Where as just a few years ago, they werent allowed no way, no how.
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. Customs...If you can in fact drive it across that would be GREAT! If you can't...you may have to go through the following: You will act as the importer. You will need to retain a customs broker to act on your behalf via an executed power of attorney. They will prepare the customs bond that is required by the Dept. of Homeland Security as well the additional declarations that are a requirement of the vechicles entry into the U.S...All of this will cost you about $1000 not counting the actual transportation fees.

Plan on Customs not being in a hurry to give you clearance for entry...which could mean that you get charged additional storage fees by whoever is handling the logistics of entry...and if the vehicle is in a container, they may request that the container be x-rayed, which will cost you another $750...this is quite common in entries that are initiated by unknown importers (YOU)...

Just make sure that when it is all said and done you get your 'Entry Summary' from U.S. Customs...this is what you will take to your local Motor Vehicle Dept. in order to get title and show them the whole deal is legit...In CA this must be done within 20 days of the vehicles entry...OH and make sure you get some sort of govermental document (Title, past registration + Bill of Sale etc.) showing the previous owner had a right to relinquish the vehicle to you...otherwise its all for not. I hope this helps...PM if you would like some names & numbers of some people who could help you with this.
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandro sent me some pics. This is one nice Safari. Well beyond the vast majority of Safaris left in Mexico. Someone spend a lot of time and pesos restoring this baby.

Sandro, do you own it yet? If not, you should first confirm the VIN numbers match. Get the VIN off the tunnel under the back seat, and the one on the tag up front. It would be best to get a friend to go and see the numbers instead of relying on the seller. If they don't match, there may be problems with US Customs. They may require ownership documents for both vehicles if they don't match. There are a couple of details that are not quite right with the car. If it is a 73, it should have the later tail lights. The car also has the 71 and earlier steering wheel. The VIN numbers will tell if these are modifications.

If it were me, I would locate and install a MPH speedo before arriving to the USA.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: