Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning up a dual vac
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Cleaning up a dual vac Reply with quote

I got my box - o - thing parts yesterday from Things unlimited.

The dual vac distributor is a bit dirty, maybe a little rusty.

Whats the best way to clean it up? Do i just tap out the pin on the bottom to take out the center rod?

And as for the dual vac canister itself, can i pour silcione in there? Is there rubber inside or a metal diaphram?

I haven't tried it out, wont be able to for a little bit. Just wanna make it pretty lol

chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Glenn, aka Mr. Bosch Distributor, can give you all the info you need.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=633
http://www.glenn-ring.com/

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

When you put the 2 words "The" and "IRS" together it spells "Theirs"

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting your parts from TU - many have failed in this attempt.

I have a stock dv dist and it needed work.
- You may find that one or more of the vaccuum diaphrams are cracked/leaking. If this is the case, you can order a new single vaccuum unit for the dist and it will bolt right on. Its simple to tune the dist with the new vaccuum unit, but if you leave the old dual unit and there is any kind of leak it can cause problems. In my case I tried to leave on the old unit and try to make it work, but my timing advance was all over the place and inconsistent.
I got a single vaccuum can as I could not find a dual vaccuum replacement. It still worked perfectly with the stock 34PICT3.
- ensure that the little ground wire from the plate where the points mount is still connected to the outside of the dist. This is usually broken or gone. On my dist, the lack of this connection caused some voltage potential problems, and my main coil wire was getting cooked due to the differing grounds.
This ground wire can be soldered to fix/replace.
- take out the main shaft and have a look at the bushings. If they do not look clearly worn, and the unit seems to spin smoothly in the dist, leave it alone. If you see any wear, find bits of metal on the shaft, or the rotor seems very lose (side-to-side) you can get a new shaft from Mid America Motor Works. (and probably other places as well)
- now is the time to find out if the screws that hold on the points and the condenser are stripped. They are usually toasted, or very close.
You can get a slightly larger, self-tapping screw if they are stripped, but you want to put this in before you install the dist as the screws may cause metal shavings.

alg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: