Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things at Bug Out 62 in Manassas VA
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Things at Bug Out 62 in Manassas VA Reply with quote

There were 5 Things at the Labor Day 2007 Bug Out 62 in Manassas Virginia. The weather was beautiful with clear skies, low humidity, and reasonable temperatures (although the sun could get intense.) Attendance was good, both from cars and spectators. Here are some pics of the Things at the show:

Gary's "CMI THING" won first place in the Thing category. The dune buggy he sold to finance this project also won first place in its category. I heard through the grapevine that he also won best interior. He said he just completed the car last week. He was also the "home town favorite" living about 3 miles from Old Dominion Speedway.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chris(?) from Maryland has shown his stock resto "Tweety" for the past several shows and took second place in the Thing category. Much of the car is original, with quality Thing Shop parts filling in where necessary. Even the floors have not been replaced.

My work-in-progress "Thang" garnered third place. So far safety items (brakes, bushings, etc) and powertrain items (engine, transmission, etc) have been restored or replaced and I am working on comfort and cosmetics. Last month I installed Honda CRV seats with neoprene covers for instance. Yesterday I replaced the driver's side hinges with SS hinge and mirror mounts.

This guy and his dog came up from Harrisonburg VA. He's owned it for close to 30 years. The paint was just slapped on to preserve the body until it can be restored. He said the rubber on his OEM wheels was dry rotted, so he borrowed the wheels and tires from his bus to make the trip. Black dog, black seats, black floors, black top, black paint got very hot very quickly and soon after this picture, he moved to the shade.

A drag-racing Thing is a rarity and here's one from Pennsylvania. The swap meet was next to the strip and I happened to notice him in line for time trials. He went up against a GTI and blew his doors off. Later in the day, he made it through a couple rounds in modified stock(?), but was ultimately eliminated. I think he said he had a 1776cc and was less than 10 seconds in the 1/8 mile.

Forty-four pics of the Things at the Bug Out are posted by me:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=markie61

For all Bug Out 62 pictures by all posters (who categorized them), click here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?..._terms=all

A very fun day!

Mark

PS The next day (Labor Day) I showed at the Clifton Cruisers Labor Day Car Show. 317 cars packed into the tiny town. They gave away about 25 trophies and my car took home "Best Orphan"... Pretty neat: 2 trophies in two days!
bornred62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Hey Mark,
Was really nice to meet at least one thing guy at the show who was not a complete jackass. You know who I mean. Ha Ha
Thanks for posting the picts. My friend said he talked to you on
Monday. Congrats on you weekend of prizes. Its always more fun when your winning. Thanks Again Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures Reply with quote

bornred62 wrote:
You know who I mean. Ha Ha

I read you loud and clear....

bornred62 wrote:
My friend said he talked to you on Monday. Congrats on your weekend of prizes. Its always more fun when you're winning.

His '55 ragtop is pretty sweet. I thought he won something (Best Import maybe...?) in the Clifton show, too. John's '68 single cab ("ho-dad" on the Samba) won Lion's Choice. So, that's 3 VW winners in a show populated with American muscle cars. Not a bad showing.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: