Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freeway flier and WOT operation. Any updates from archives?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talosian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Freeway flier and WOT operation. Any updates from archives? Reply with quote

I wanted a little more information on getting a higher speed from my '71 Safari (thing) and when I saw something about a "Freeway Flier" tranny, so I went to the archives and got info. that brought other questions to mind.

From my other thread I gather that my (original) engine is a 1500. Any way as a lay-person I can tell by looking? Here in Mexico, they don't do a lot of paperwork (if any) when an engine is switched.

I was told that I can have the engine rebuilt and have my own High Performance parts installed for more power. Worth it?

It seems that 50-55mph is going to be my best with things stock, and I can live with that other than on the freeways here where I will be dog-meat the way most drivers are with speed.

I understand if I get a different 4th. gear from a bus tranny and have that put in my stock tranny, that will help. I would like to get 65mph if possible without doing damage to the engine, which is a segue to my next question.

I also read that the VW engine was built to run WOT (it wasn't explained but I think that means "Wide Open Throttle). Is this true?

This coming week, there is a very large VW show in Guadalajara and I'm going. Don't feel comfortable enough to drive my Thing that distance (about 100 miles r/t) but I am going to take pictures. Would it be proper for me to post them here and if so, where?

Thanks again for all the information.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 miles, round trip?

That's only 50 miles each way.

I'd happily drive my Thing that far. Cie la vie.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

You can post your photos in the Gallery section of the Samba. Just be sure that your photos are 640x480 or smaller.

I assume that your 71 has reduction gears? If so, you're not going to get freeway speed, no matter what size engine or transmission gearing. Your Thing was designed for more torque than speed. Even the non-reduction geared Things were only rated for 68 mph...

With freeway-flyer transmissions, you risk over-heating your engine. This is due to the cooling fan not spinning as fast as it should.

If you've been driving your Thing for a while now without any problems, I think you'd be safe to drive it to the show. 100 miles isn't all that far. Just be sure to take some tools with you, just in case...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have reduction boxes then you can always change your R&P if you want the rpms to drop on the highway. Stock R&P for a Thing was 4.125, so you can change to 3.88 and keep the reduction boxes.

If you do not have reduction boxes then the stock 4.125 R&P with the .89 forth should be what you want on the freeway.

You can also change to bigger tires first-this will change your final drive ratio.
Talosian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign:

My concern is not really the distance, but being limited to 50mph on a freeway in Mexico where the drivers are pretty aggressive. And your comment about taking tools makes me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs Rolling Eyes And of course, what if something happens and I need a part (belt, etc.)?

On the photos, I can reduce them, it's just that I'm not 100% clear on how to post them. I saw the instructions and will have to play a little. I'm seeing I have to find a home for the photos someplace other than here and then put the URL of the picture in my post between the "Img" tags (on each side). Like everything, the first time is the steep learning curve.

74 Thing:

I'll have to check a technical manual to understand the stuff you sent. I'm learning about the Safari/Thing in baby steps. I know cars basically having collected and worked on them for decades, but I know each is different and sometimes the Devil is in the details.

BMWLOCO.

Yup, our math results are the same, 100 miles r/t is 50 miles each way. I just want to feel a little more comfortable locally. There is no AAA in Mexico and getting stuck even a few miles from home-base can be a real problem in Mexico, plus, I'm not really proficient in the language yet, other than in a restaurant.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign, the idea that a motor will overheat with a FWY flyer transmission is bunk. It comes down to this. RPM's equal work and load which equals heat. Less work and load equals less heat. I know because I did comparison tests on my car. With the OEM trans and gearing at 60 MPH my oil temp was right at 205 on an average temp day. With my FWY flyer trans, at 60 MPH my oil temp is just under 200. All other variables being the same. I now can average 65 MPH and maintain stock oil temps.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but who cares about oil temps? Head temps are what's important on an aircooled engine.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talosian wrote:
On the photos, I can reduce them, it's just that I'm not 100% clear on how to post them. I saw the instructions and will have to play a little. I'm seeing I have to find a home for the photos someplace other than here and then put the URL of the picture in my post between the "Img" tags (on each side). Like everything, the first time is the steep learning curve.

Post them to the Gallery in the "Thing" or "Parts/Accessories - Thing" section. Then you can put the [img] tags in your post to show the pictures.

klokard wrote:
the idea that a motor will overheat with a FWY flyer transmission is bunk.

X2! If you drive by the little shift points on your speedo, you may be in the wrong gear at the wrong time when going up a hill or with a freeway flyer. But you're smarter than that! You know when the engine is lugging that you down-shift regardless of what the marks on the speedo say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel rail...you are absolutely correct, CHT is the most precise measure of effeciency of an air cooled engine. However, there could not have been an increase in CHT without an increase in oil temp and vice versa... which is the point I was making.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klokard wrote:
Towel rail...you are absolutely correct, CHT is the most precise measure of effeciency of an air cooled engine. However, there could not have been an increase in CHT without an increase in oil temp and vice versa... which is the point I was making.

Not true. One can indeed rise without notably affecting the other, because they only have a minor influence on each other. Heads are heated by combustion events, while the oil is primarily heated by the friction of the moving parts. Lug a VW engine long enough, and you'll drop a valve with cool oil. Or rev it a bunch (bypassing the oil cooler) and fry the oil.

In fact, I would expect oil temps to go down slightly using a FF transmission, assuming the same top speed.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
In fact, I would expect oil temps to go down slightly using a FF transmission, assuming the same top speed.

That is because with the lower RPMs, you will be developing less oil pressure. Less pressure causes more oil to pass through the oil cooler. That is why oil temps go down.
At the same time, fan speed drops. This puts less air through the heads, causing higher head temps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: