Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my rocker arm geometry OK?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Is my rocker arm geometry OK? Reply with quote

From what I read I think my geometry is Ok? My head is spinning. What do you guys think? FK8 cam Steve Tims Stage 2 heads with .075 thick lash caps. See pics and let me know. Thanks
Zero lift
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Half lift

Full lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions before I cut my pushrods?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to be further up on the pad. Color the pad (part that contacts the lash cap) with a sharpie marker, then reinstall and rotate the engine one full revolution. Pull the rockers off and check the pad, if geometry is correct the sharpie should have worn off the center on the pad. Shim until the line is the center...
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may illustrate the above post.

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a shot. Thanks
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you recommend shimming with lash caps or try to just remove my lash caps and see what I come up with?
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jammer729 wrote:
Would you recommend shimming with lash caps or try to just remove my lash caps and see what I come up with?

You're going to want lash caps with those rockers, you can get ones thinner than .075".
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ain't having any luck. I tried.030, .060 then .120 shims. see pic at half lift with .120 shims and my .075 lash caps. It gets slightly more to the center of the pad but higher on the lash cap with more shims and also they wipe off more of an area (ink) the higher I go also. I did try no shims and no lash cap and that seemed the best but I really want to use lash caps cause the pad was a bit high on the valve stem. I keep going back to what I started with it has the smallest area marked off. Here is a better pic and also a pic of the lifter and lash cap.
Half lift

Rub mark on lifter

Rub mark on lash cap

.120 shims with .075 lash caps at half lift
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way to get it better would be to have shorter valves? Not an option though. Seems the further away you shim the higher up the pad rides on the lash cap due to the valve being on an angle? It keeps getting closer to the rocker shaft. Let me know what you think.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that some manufacturers have mounting blocks and the holes in the shaft offset on some ratio rockers.

It seems like you may need a longer pushrod. If the pushrod is in line with your adjuster at 1/2 lift you should be close.

Here is a post from Don Pauter from another forum;

Max,
There are three different shafts available, one with zero offset and two with offsets from approx. 3mm(1.3/1.4) to 4mm(1.5) which do you have? From your description of the problem you require further offset shafts.

Keylime5,
Your situation must be opposite if you switched to a 1.4 shaft, with less offset than a 1.5,the roller tip would have increased high of center on the valve tip. A word of caution, in most cases broken rockers are an indication of severe loss of control, if left unresolved a dropped valve may be in your future.

I'm not quite sure whats up with after market heads but we/they have run the table in terms of shaft offsets. the zero offset shafts were developed exclusively for use with the 910 head however we are often obliged to exchange shafts due to offset problems similar to those above. Valve length plays a critical role in positioning but I feel there must be other changes during production to account for the wide variations required to accommodate some makes.

I urge anyone with similar problems with our products to contact us directly for assistance, also refer to our web site for complete instructions on rocker arm setup.

D P

Last edited by 74 Thing on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok how is this? I have .060 shims with the lash caps? I think its either this or no shims see above pics. I like the way the rocker is at half lift with the .060 shims but I likre the way the pad wear is on the no shims.Please help
Half lift

Rub on lifter pad

Rub on lash cap
jammer729
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using the .060 shims as shown in the last set of pics and I drove it hard like it should, reved it to 7500 rpms and ran it down the track a few times and no problems with the valves or rockers nearlt 2 years latter.
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update;-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: