Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas cap
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Gas cap Reply with quote

I've got a '74 Thing with a locking gas cap which is a real pain
to lock back on.I want to change to a standard non locking one.Can
anyone tell me if the cap from other VW models will fit and which
year.

Please and thanks
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several for sale in the Thing Classified list here.

I have a locking cap. It works pretty well.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gas cap Reply with quote

vwbuff wrote:
I've got a '74 Thing with a locking gas cap which is a real pain to lock back on.I want to change to a standard non locking one.Can anyone tell me if the cap from other VW models will fit and which year.

I can't remember specifically, but I know it has been discussed. I think the Thing shares its gas cap with some year of bus, IIRC.

I must have bought the same locking cap you did. Since I have gone back to the non-locking one.
Ezra466
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost 2 in the last year, I'm terribly forgetfull and drive away from the gas station with them sitting on the fender.

Anyway, I've gotten replacements from the thing shop, they are around $20 and seem to work well.
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezra466 wrote:
I've lost 2 in the last year, I'm terribly forgetfull and drive away from the gas station with them sitting on the fender.

Anyway, I've gotten replacements from the thing shop, they are around $20 and seem to work well.

That is EXACTLY the beauty of the locking gas cap - if you put the key on the same keytag as your ignition key, you will be forced to pull the ignition key to open the gas tank. You can't start the car without first replacing the gas cap, locking it, and removing your ignition key. No lost gas caps.

Mark

PS I lost 2 non-locking caps with my first Thing back in the early 80's.
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a stock VW stamped cap from a 61-66 beetle, but you have to remove seal from the cap, as the Thing tank doesnīt have a separate vent tube, it vents itselv through the cap. Never lost one. And I love the look of the logo on it. Besides hubcaps itīs the only part which identifies my Thing as a Volkswagen to the crowd.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the original, non-locking cap at a gas pump, and bought the $15 non-locking replacement from The Thing Shop (this was in the mid-90's). I'm not sure if they sell it anymore, but it looked like the original only it was gold instead of black. It leaked all over my fender and ruined my then-new paint job. The Thing shop sent me a replacement, which also leaked! They then added a disclosure to the non-locking cap saying that they can't guarantee them, and told me the only cap with quality that I could count on was the locking one, so I dropped probably about $75 on the chrome locking cap, and it's lock mechanism fell apart after about a month. The Thing shop sent me a replacement for that cap, and my current cap has served my well for more than a decade. Like markie61 said, it's impossible to lose because you need to replace the cap before you can get your keys back. Also, with the Thing's siphon-friendly fuel tank, it doesn't hurt to have a lock on the tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: