Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subwoofer location
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Subwoofer location Reply with quote

Hey there guys,

I'm currently running Blaupunkt front and rear speakers in my Thing, and I finally have the money set aside for sub(s) and a one or two channel amp.

The rear shelf area is pretty crowded as is, Anyone ever tried building a sub enclosure for the trunk? Bass is omni directional, but will the install be more trouble than its worth? I could allways just anchor a Sub-tube some where.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any ideas or oppinions will be much appreciated
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mid size amplified Bazooka, I believe it is 10" fits perfect under the rear seat opposite of the battery. They sound pretty good and are easy to install. I thought about one under the hood firing down into the passenger compartment but I hate to take up storage space for stereo gear.

hope this helps,
Craig
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaeth wrote:
The mid size amplified Bazooka, I believe it is 10" fits perfect under the rear seat opposite of the battery.

Nice. Here's what I found from their site.
http://www.sasbazooka.com/productAutoAmplifiedBTsBT.asp

BTA6100
100 watt 6" active subwoofer tube.
18.125" x 6.75" x 8"
$200 MSRP

BTA8100
100 watt 8" active subwoofer tube.
18.125" x 8.5" x 10"
$240 MSRP

BTA10100
100 watt 10" active subwoofer tube.
20.875" x 10.3" x 12.2"
$280 MSRP

The above 3 all look like this:

BTA6200
200 watt 6" active subwoofer tube.
18.125" x 6.75" x 8"
$280 MSRP
(no pic)

BTA8200
200 watt 8" active subwoofer tube.
18.125" x 8.5" x 10"
$300 MSRP

BTA10200
200 watt 10" active subwoofer tube.
20.875" x 10.3" x 12.2"
$350 MSRP

the above 2 look like this:

Or go with this wild one (yes, that's a speaker!)
http://www.sasbazooka.com/productAutoAmplifiedBTsRX.asp?id=254

I like 'em! I think only the 6" tubes would fit under the seat though. gonna have to pull out the tape measure to see what'll work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the 6" and the 8" (I just measured it) and they both fit. The 8" is a little tighter and you kind of need to angle it in there but it will go. The 8" sounds a touch deeper but not a huge difference in sound.

Craig
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those clueless in the car soundsystem world.

Whats a typical set up for car set ups? Two or more speakers? One subwoofer? One amp (at whatever power usage). I know speakers come in different sizes.

What do you look for in a sound system?

I'm just trying to get a picture what I will need to get one day. Currently I no sound system. I have this fantasy I can put everything into a tube and use the gun racks to secure the tube to.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
What's a typical set up for car set ups? Two or more speakers? One subwoofer? One amp (at whatever power usage). What do you look for in a sound system

I don't know what typical is as it can run the gamut. When I was younger I used to be into car shows and audio competitions. Some of the cleanest sounding systems came from vehicles with 4 or 5 speakers and 1 or 2 amps.
the challenge is to get it sounding good in a specific enclosure or vehicle. 2 vehicles , with the exact same equipment installed , will sound different than each other due to the vehicles acoustics. With that being said our things couldn't have been designed any worse for acoustics,especially with the top down.

So what is the answer to getting it sounding good. Power ! When the top is down were trying to fill the cab (along with the rest of the world) up with sound , so the way I achieved this is with two 8" boston acoustic 2 ways in custom kick panels up front . Two more 8' in the rear along with a 10" sub woofer all in a removable custom enclosure behind the rear seat. I mounted Alpine 600 watt and 400 watt amps in a custom rack under the pass rear seat , Man was that a tight fit . This Thing rocks anything my Ipod can throw at it but it is lacking in alarm triggering base . I outgrew that but it doesn't make you a bad person if you haven't Cool
If anyone is interested in photo's let me know

John
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Subwoofer location Reply with quote

Acetone Jack wrote:
Any ideas or oppinions will be much appreciated

After re reading your post I remembered that someone makes a sub woofer with the amp built into it that will fit under our front seats . I didn't go that route because the weather in Hawaii seems too wet for it . Sorry I don't have more info on it . You can call Newport Auto Sound in Newport Beach CA, for more info, I saw them there.

oh yea , look into a 5 channel amp is you are gonna power your sub with it
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaeth wrote:
The mid size amplified Bazooka, I believe it is 10" fits perfect under the rear seat opposite of the battery. They sound pretty good and are easy to install. I thought about one under the hood firing down into the passenger compartment but I hate to take up storage space for stereo gear.

hope this helps,
Craig

I have a 74 and with the heat tubes it is kind of crowded. I was going to tear a Bazooka tube a part and try and shorten it 2" to make it fit better.
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about that. My Things have always been 73's. You could pretty easily make a nice MDF box that fits under that back seat and mount an 8" or 10" woofer in it. A nice sealed box with a 10 will give you really nice tight punchy bass.

Good luck,
Craig
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Bazooka tube I have has an amp built in. That's why I didn't want to build a box.
GA_RR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaeth wrote:
I forgot about that. My Things have always been 73's. You could pretty easily make a nice MDF box that fits under that back seat and mount an 8" or 10" woofer in it. A nice sealed box with a 10 will give you really nice tight punchy bass.

Good luck,
Craig

I don't have any pictures of it on my computer but that's what I made for my brother's '73 several years ago. It's a cheap "10 Alpine type S and is powered by a 250W punch amp. The speaker points forward towards the rear passenger foot area. He won't be winning any bass competitions with it but it definitely fills the sound system out nicely.
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaupunkt makes the THB 210a

Active 8" subwoofer with a 240w amp

I think i might go this route if i can fit one under the rear seat,

If not they make a smaller version the THB 200a

Active 8" subwoofer with 120w(might slider under the driver seat) ha ha
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: