Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Straightening a bumper, what should I do?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Straightening a bumper, what should I do? Reply with quote

I hit a light pole at slow speeds. I was turning into a parking spot and thought I would clear it. Bent the ride of my bumper straight back about 2 inches. My fender wasnt in place at the time. What kinda shop should be able to do this and how much should I expect to pay? I can have pictures in a hour or so.

I was thinking of getting a set of these eventually.

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181FBD

But the "cow pusher" brush deflector, welded on tube bumpers rather than bolted to stock bumpers.

Are thoe round tube bumpers stronger than the stock bumpers? I can see the stock or any bumper just shearing off the bolts or damanging the whole front end in a collision some day. Is there a giant spring that can be put on the front of the tube bumpers? Like I was thinking orange cones. Or like those rubber truck pads that bolt onto the back of trucks so when they back up into wherehouses.
Maybe huge air bag, a thick vinyl air filled bag that sits in front of the car. Would make it more fuel efficient but also cushion bumps.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing Shop also sells these bumper overriders:
http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181ORR
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not sure if they'll bolt to the tube bumpers. If you ever make it down to the south bay, you can take a gander at my tube bumpers. I haven't tested the strength of either the tube bumpers or the stock bumper, but I assume the bolts are the weak points.

I like the looks of the tube bumpers. You can see various pics of them on my car here: http://veewiki.com/IanEpperson
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup have the rubber overriders. Front and Back.

I was thinking for the front though. Although I have the original apron protector, most truck beds are about my eye level lol

I can just see the truck bed sliding up the hood.

And also just the bumps and scratches of a daily driver. A bar that would go at least the height of the hood. I've caught my neighbor playing bumper cars with my car plenty of times.

Also thinking of that re-enforcement bar that connects bumper to front beam. Thing shop sell those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing bumpers are not spring steel. Usually a shop hammer and anvil or piece of railroad track will do the job. :roll: Mine had lots of bulges and ripples before I restored it with an anvil and shop hammer. If its real bad, it might require some acetylene (sp) torch heat to do the job.
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What do you think it would cost to fix it.

I have rail road track, some hammers but this would require a hydaulic puller I think.

What do you think it would cost to have done?

My other option is to back up the car on that telephone pole ;)
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a shop with a large Hydraulic H frame press press, Its very common in auto shops to remove bearings/races and such . Put a piece of square steel about the same width as the inside diameter of the bumper inside. Press the bumper down than use a hammer and block of wood to manipulate the bumper back into shape . You can do the same thing with a large bottle jack , in essence making a H frame press. You will need a 5 ton jack and something strong enough to push against. It doesn't look that bad. I would also consider putting a chain or strap around it and a tree . Put the thing in neutral and push the car away from the tree kinda bouncing it until you get it where you want it. I think you said it in jest but I have had good results with it in the past. Just make sure the bumper bolts are not the weak link. More is less when pushing the car.

Good luck
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front bumper looks almost exactly the same... some funny dent on the top. It forces one of my fog lights to point down on the ground but I was planning on taking a metal rod and hammer to force it back into shape... when all else fails- use brute force! Laughing
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I straightened out my front bumper and am currently working on the rear. As we all know they aren't that strong so they aren't that difficult to get back into shape. I positioned the bumper on an overhang with the bend right at the edge of the lip - so that part of the bumper is hanging out in space. I stood on the part that was flat on the ground and had my son - who weighs roughly 120 pounds stand on the part that hung over the edge and had him gently bounce on it until it was virtually straight. Then, with the bumper flat on my garage floor I used a rubber mallet to "fine" tune the straightness. After the bumper was relatively straight I used a body hammer and dolly to take out the bends in the top and bottom of the channel. Once these are straight the bumper is pretty close to where it was when it was new. You do have to be careful not to use too much force with the hammer or it will stretch the metal too much. My rear bumper has a torsion so it is proving more difficult. I'm getting close with it though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: