Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Progress
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scamutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Ok, so I ordered the tires...5 of the last BFG 14" LT tires out there from what I can tell. They had to ship them in from GA. So today I figured I'd go take off the old rims and take them to the powdercoating shop to be shaped up. Nothing to it right?

First hurdle - battery is dead. I just put a new alternator on and the battery is brand new, so after only about 2 weeks, this was pretty shocking... Jumper cables are at the other house so I put it on the trickle charger and go clean out the new space for her. 30 minutes later I get a half of a crank, so I go borrow the neighbors jump box. Started right up and put her in the shed.

The lugs were in pretty good shape, so I didn't expect too much of a problem. Well, the impact wrench was pretty much useless. PB Blaster and the breaker bar wasn't doing much, so I had to put about a 5' cheater bar on there. I was out in my garage/shed with about 18" on either side to work, temps around 95-100 in there sweating my face off. 45 minutes later, 3 were off and I start on the 4th. It's a real bitch, with less room than any of the others...I don't know if these wheels have even been off the car in the past 20 years or so.

So I'm cursing and grunting, trying to keep the tire from spinning when I feel a nudge on my back....wtf? I turn around to see my wife's 1000 pound mule has somehow gotten out and fit into the little space between my brand new paint job and the outside wall. I finally push him out, and look - part of the fence is down and the other mule is heading out. I run that one down, scare her back into the paddock...look and the first one is back in the shed....and threw a bag of cracked corn about 3 feet up in the air all over Verna, and the floor that I had just swept.

Argh...hot, sweaty, pissed off...I get him back in the paddock, mend the fence, and the last few lug bolts come off I think out of sheer frustration.

So - I took them to the tire shop to get the old Sears and Roebucks stripped off the rims, took the rims to the powdercoating place. (I'm going with textured black - it should look pretty tight with the paint.)

I started at 9AM - planning on being finished by about noon...well, I got home at about 4pm. BUT - It was great to dedicate an entire day to getting Verna back on the road and looking sharp - I can't wait for Bug Jam. I'll tell you what though - I've had more adventures with this Thing than I'd like to remember - and she STILL doesn't even have 15 miles on the new 1915.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: