Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency Brake...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Emergency Brake... Reply with quote

O.k. Now that I've sold my Mercedes 300CD daily driver, I'm spending more time in my Thing.

Since day one with this one, the emergency brake has been in-operable, i.e. if you pull it up, it will lock the brakes, but it will not stay up. The button on the end of the rod is loose, and it doesn't click into "stop" when you pull it up.

Any ideas, tips? I looks like it's made to "loop" around the cable, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Cheers!
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: emergencyt brake Reply with quote

sounds like someone in the past may have pulled it to far up. This allowed the secondary gear pc? to fall out of place. I am not sure of technical terms. I know they are very basic.

You may need to dissamble by pulling clip keeper and taking out large pivot pin to see what is going on inside the handle. OR attack by loosening the cables, pulling arm up to where you can see underneath teh handle. You will be looking for what appears to be a large gear and a smaller gear. The teeth on the gears are to be meshed together. Generally, the smaller is out of place and not engaging the larger gear.

Sorry tough for me to describe.

It is very simple fix if you get inside/under the handle to study the internals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ziggy...

Looks like I'll get to muck around with it this coming weekend.

I don't mind doing it at all - it keeps me out of the bars Wink
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's broken like that too. The button pops out, and the ratchet gear isn't anchored to the tunnel, so I need to hold it down while engaging the teeth if I want to set the brakes. What a mess! Laughing

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is covered in the Bug Me video series which has been a life line for me recently.

This link has an excerpt from the Bug Me series on how to fix the e-brake problem .

http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jun2.htm
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That looks like easy enough.

One thing about The Samba, if you ask, you can save yourself a lot of time and woe.

Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: