Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REAR trailing arm Q
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: REAR trailing arm Q Reply with quote

i did a search didnt net anything useful.

Are thing and bug rear trailing arms the same width, for tire track?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmail me and I will discuss this. I have the arms you seek. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to highjack his thread but this is in the same line, are the bushings in the trailing arms the same Beetle and Thing?
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
pmail me and I will discuss this. I have the arms you seek. K-mann

this was not a wanted to buy ad. i just want the info i have no need for arms.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing arms will bolt into a bug without frame modification but will add about 1" per side in tire track. Also the bug arms and Thng arms use the same inner rubber/Urethane bushings. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the thing rear arms are the same as the bug arms. The drums are about an 1" wider. And the shock mount is about an 1"-1.5 higher on the thing arm. The drive axles are actually alittle shorter on the thing than on the bug. So I cant see how the arms would be wider. I have a set of both I could measure them to be sure. I will be changing to the thing arms on my bug. Mostly for the wide 5 drums and higher shock mount, and they came as a unit so I can just do the complete swap.

Brian

Last edited by Brian T. on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing rear arms are the same width and length as Bug arms. Bushings are the same too. The only difference that Ive seen is how low the lower shock mount hangs down. On the Thing arm it is tucked up a bit higher. The additional width that K-mann mentioned is achieved by the drums. Thing rear drums are wider than Bug drums. However, they are NOT wider on the inside. Thing drums use the same shoe, backing plate, and hardware as a Bug. You can mount Thing brakes, & Thing stubs on a Bug arm & vice versa, there is no problem with interchanging parts between Bug and Thing. Hope this helps.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian T. wrote:
I thought the thing rear arms are the same as the bug arms. The drums are about an 1" wider. And the shock mount is about an 1"-1.5 higher on the thing arm. The drive axles are actually alittle shorter on the thing than on the bug. So I cant see how the arms would be wider. I have a set of both I could measure them to be sure. I will be changing to the thing arms on my bug. Mostly for the wide 5 drums and higher shock mount, and they came as a unit so I can just do the complete swap.

Brian

Brian,
Have you decided to keep the Baja? I thought it was up for sale.
Brian T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I sold the engine. I am now thinking of keeping it for a while. My problem is I get bored easy. And after driving newer vehicles. I like the comforts they offer. So I am still looking for a newer semi offroad vehicle. The toyota land cruiser is one I am looking at. I dont want to get a new toy and take it out and rub against any branches or whaterver. And I still what to tinker abit. I just want to get something the four of us can get into and not be uncomfortable.

Brian
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks matt

SO to answer my question, the arms are the same track wise, its the DRUMS that cause the 1"-ish wider track?
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubjim wrote:
thanks matt

SO to answer my question, the arms are the same track wise, its the DRUMS that cause the 1"-ish wider track?

Correct.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian T. wrote:
Matt,

I sold the engine. I am now thinking of keeping it for a while. My problem is I get bored easy. And after driving newer vehicles. I like the comforts they offer. So I am still looking for a newer semi offroad vehicle. The toyota land cruiser is one I am looking at. I dont want to get a new toy and take it out and rub against any branches or whaterver. And I still what to tinker abit. I just want to get something the four of us can get into and not be uncomfortable.

Brian

Are you looking at the older FJ Landcruisers, or a newer one? Landcruisers are definitely cool. Had I not found a deal on a 69 Bronco, I would have been looking for an FJ. Im gearing up right now to work on the Bronco.
Brian T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I am looking for a 80 series 95-97, Or a Lexus 450 96-97. These are great and have all the modern features. They can be had for between 8k-12k. The engines are good to around 300k.

Brian
Runboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Thing rear arm/spring plate vs. bug? Reply with quote

Can someone please explain the difference in the thing rear suspension vs. bug as far as ride height? If the arms are similar, are the torsion tubes/stops different to allow them to be set at a greater angle stock? Or?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mike
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing rear arm/spring plate vs. bug? Reply with quote

Runboy wrote:
Can someone please explain the difference in the thing rear suspension vs. bug as far as ride height? If the arms are similar, are the torsion tubes/stops different to allow them to be set at a greater angle stock? Or?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mike

-
On the IRS suspension cars the spring plates are at a higher angle (or lower angle - whatever!) and the CV's are different, that is the CV can handle the higher angle. Also the bump stops are thing only!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: