Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dumb Question: Just what IS a "Super-Diff"?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Dumb Question: Just what IS a "Super-Diff"? Reply with quote

Rebuilding my '73 Thing, pulled the trans last weekend. Checked the info here on transmissions, and I have the correct "AV" coded unit. I'm debating the benefits of installing a Super-Diff, but I realized that I don't really know what one is. I did a couple of searches, but didn't find any real answer. Lotsa talk about them, but not much on actual function.

So, oh wise ones, just what is this mystical device anyway? What's it do? Any benefit to installing one in a daily driver trans? Will a standard Thing gearbox see any real improvement?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little S and small cape on each gear! Laughing

OK, I couldn't resist...

As I understand it, a super diff is just a more rugged differential. I don't think you'd see any difference at all on a stock Thing. If you've got a bigger engine and/or abuse the transaxle a lot, you'll replace the diff less often.

The ShopTalkForums Transaxle forum is the best place to find out. Take a look at these threads:

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=111127
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=109202
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=108828
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a ... Thing? Reply with quote

Ok, I asked for that one. Stepped right in it. But thanks for the info and the links.

As far as the engine goes, there's still the 1600DP over there in the corner, but I have a 1800 T-4 laying around, and I find the efforts of Mr. Jake Raby very interesting; perhaps I'll convert it. I wonder what extra stress this would place on the gearbox....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A super diff is basically a diff with 2 more spider gears. Doubles the strength of the diff. The aftermarket super diffs usually have a beefed up housing too.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type 4 tranny recommendations.

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/trans.shtml
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wonder what extra stress this would place on the gearbox...."

That is not a matter of how much power you have but how you use it. A stock 1600 can work over a stock tranny pretty well if you rev it up and drop the clutch at every start. The bigger motor you get the more power you have available to do damage, but if you apply that power accordingly you should be OK. If you want to do drag race starts or go off roading, where wheels are lifted, spin, and then catch, the Super diff is needed. If you just want more power on the hills etc... you can get away with a stock tranny.

Craig
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Trans choices Reply with quote

Thanks Craig. I intend to rebuild this Thing for long-term use. Had one when I was a kid, and beat the bleep out of it. Now that I'm pushing 50, I want to do it right (for a change) and make this one last (so my sons can beat the bleap out of it when I'm gone!). The research I've done over the last few days indicates that the standard AV-code trans in the Thing is a pretty sturdy unit to start with, and since I'm not using it for hill climbs or drag racing, I'll clean it out and keep it.

The extra power and torque of a T-4 will bend the frame forks down if I don't add a mustache bar behind the engine, so I'll see about installing mounts for this on the body if I go that route. I'd like to run a stock 1800 T-4, DTM fan conversion, dual carbs and a nice header, but we'll see.

Let the antics ensue.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to a moderately prepped TIV does not necessitate a super diff or other efforts at strengthening the frame horns unless the driver plans on driving the car very hard doing clutch drops and etc.

Going to TIV power is best when matched to taller gearing, the TIV has the excellent cooling capability as well as much hiher torque at a much lower RPM, both mandating gearing swaps for total vehicle optimization.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trans choices Reply with quote

prom8n wrote:
The extra power and torque of a T-4 will bend the frame forks down if I don't add a mustache bar behind the engine, so I'll see about installing mounts for this on the body if I go that route. I'd like to run a stock 1800 T-4, DTM fan conversion, dual carbs and a nice header, but we'll see.

Let the antics ensue.

There are other ways of dealing with the torque without the rear hanger "mustache bar". I went with a Kafer-type setup with some mods to make it all fit properly:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also welded the frame horn seams and added an intermediary trans mount.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Trans bracing Reply with quote

Very nice work Ian. I've also perused your website, and I commend you on all the useful info there. Lots of good reading!

Do you prefer the diagonal brace from the rear trans mount to the shock tower over the mustache bar? I'd need to mount that to the sheet metal at the rear of the engine compartment somewhere, and I'm concerned that no matter how much this is re-enforced, it will still not handle the stress. The engine I'm considering came out of a '75 Bus, and has the bar and fresh rubber mounts, but there's no frame at the rear of the Thing to bolt it to. Fabrication is no problem, metal fatigue is.

What say you?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: