Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold replacement
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Intake manifold replacement Reply with quote

Okay, so my intake manifold heat risers were littered with holes. I bought a new intake manifold (one piece, with heat risers). I was wondering what all I will have to remove to get the old manifold off and put the new one on. If the distributer has to be moved please tell me how. I have never moved the distributer before.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I found on Rob and Dave's website:

A question - I've been having a frustrating time myself getting the old manifold out and putting the "new" one back in. Can you give any advice?

Dave responded - On my '73 SB I have to strip pretty much everything off of the engine (carburetor, alternator, etc.) to get the intake manifold out. And to do that, of course, it's just easiest to remove the fan housing.

Rob responded - I found that by removing the left dual port "corner" manifold piece and lifting the fan assembly with generator attached I could finangle the new manifold centre section in. Since my Bug doesn't yet have cooling flaps back in (hard to find here -- almost all VW's have had them removed and junked!) I could lift the fan without worrying about the thermostat linkage.

As far as the distributor, simply loosen the clamp and pull it. Be sure to mark the location of the distributor on the clamp so you can re-install it without loosing your timing.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be able to pull the manifold without doing any more to the distributor than pulling the cap.

Carb, alternator/generator and stand (which requires wrestling the doghouse tin out of the way) , and one of the manifold sides to slide that center section out of place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
As far as the distributor, simply loosen the clamp and pull it. Be sure to mark the location of the distributor on the clamp so you can re-install it without loosing your timing.

-
Don't even pull the clamp off the distributor, instead, pull the distributor and clamp as a unit by removing the nut that holds the clamp to the case.
-
Also if your thermostat is connected, just remove the thermostat (under the engine) from the rod, thus providing lots of room to lift the shroud. I like to remove the generator stand too, makes for less finagle-ing!!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually meant to say generator, not distributer. What the heck? They don't even sound the same.
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got it guys. Thanks for the help. Soon I'll be posting before and after pics of my engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: