Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cleaner
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Air cleaner Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm putting the stock air cleaner back on my '74 Thing and need to
know where the hoses go, especially the small vacumn one to the
carb.I searched but had no luck.

Wayne
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small vacuum line connects to the port on the intake manifold below the carb on the left side. It then connects to the the port on the upper portion of the air cleaner. The port next to that one connects to the flapper on the intake end of the air cleaner.

The larger port on the back of the cleaner connects to the charcoal canister through the engine firewall. The other end of the canister comes back through the firewall connects to the side of the fan housing. This pressurizes the canister and purges any gas vapors into the air cleaner to be burned in the engine.

The large hole below the flapper is for the warm air intake. A large flexible hose connects between it through the engine tin and to a metal elbow that collects warm air off of the heads.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture from The Thing Shop

So let's see, the lower intake should be piped up from engine tin around the heads.

The upper intake simply takes air from the engine compartment.

The small nipple at the top of the intake (which changes the airflow from the upper intake to the lower intake) plugs into one of the paired small nipples that are on the line going to the carb - it plugs into the one closest to the carb.

The other small paired nipple goes to a vacume port on the carb.

There's a 1/2" or so nipple at the front of the cleaner (front of car). That goes to a line that runs to the rear charcoal filter. It's supposed to take fumes from the gas tank and dump them into the intake. Most often this system isn't functional (usually the metal line running along the car clogs) so this may not be all that critical.

There's an even bigger nipple near the two intakes. This attaches to a similar fitting by the oil filler to allow the case to breathe. There's a specific hose to buy to go here, it has a formed elbow so that it wont pinch - if it pinches then your case doesn't breathe and you start blowing oil seals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
The small vacuum line connects ...

Heh, beat me to it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually happens to me... Type a nice lengthy explanation and someone else posts before you do. Kind of makes you look foolish, unless you have a better answer. But, you included a photo, so you win!
vwbuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Had webers on the engine and too much trouble so back to basics.

Wayne
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hooking up my air cleaner and saw the two hoses that go to the charcoal canister sticking thru the wall. They don't appear to have been cut, but there is now a rubber cap on the spot where one connects to the fan housing. I read above where the other one connects to a nipple on the front of the air cleaner. My air cleaner doesn't have this feature. Is it possibly from a Mexican Safari that didn't come with the charcoal canister? I've got everything else hooked up so I guess it's ok to run without this. It wasn't hooked up before.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: