Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blinkers driving me nuts!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Blinkers driving me nuts! Reply with quote

I need some master wiring samurai here. My blinkers flat out will NOT FLASH when I use the flasher switch, but will when I use the emergency flasher. Here is what I understand about this system, PLEASE correct me if I'm nuts.

Firstly, the switch and relay are new (I've actually purchased two of each).

When I activate the flasher switch, the blinker bulbs get brighter. To me, that means the juice is flowing correctly, wiring is correct, the relay just isn't firing. The ONLY difference I can see between the flasher switch activating the blinkers and the emergency flasher activating the blinkers is: 1) The power source switches from Fuse 10 to fuse 1, and 2) the power flows internally through the e-flasher switch to the blinkers as opposed to the flasher switch completing the circuit. Neither of these seem to matter a hill of beans, because the power seems to be getting through to the blinkers because the darn bulbs get brighter!!!!! What is going on!!

The only thing I can figure is that switching from fuse 10 power supply to fuse 1 somehow doesn't activate the flasher magical box, because it logically seems to me the circuit is completed because the bulbs get brighter. Anyone have any insight on this before I start smashing relays?

On a kinder side note, where does the ground wire attach on a new cigarette lighter?
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the blinker problem, but I just installed a new cigarette lighter in my Thing and attached the ground to one of the screws in the glovebox that hold up the defroster vents. It works great.
Celthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: blinker issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I can't figure out where to hook it on the lighter body itself! There is no wire plug like there is for the hot wire. Would it work if I just screwed it into the threads?
pewe_kodok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figure the bulb resistor. CMIIW the bulb should be 24 ohm.
(base on my old beetle relay 2/4 12V 21 Watt)

below is my story about having fun with this relay

when I tried blinker relay wired to battery charger, flasher (flasher output) won't blink even two bulbs. they keep glowing but not go off.
flasher relay buzzing too.

IMO bimetal (inside flasher) not open the contact, since battery charger supply small current.

then tried wired it with battery. If I wired 49a (flasher output) to one bulb, bulb keep glowing. If wired two bulbs, it was flashing. but I got bulbs flashing slower if I wired 4 bulbs.

best regards

Ruben
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: flasher science Reply with quote

the 4 way flashers do not need to find the ground as the normal turnsignal need. You have a ground fault, it is the current flow that opens the bi-metalic contactor, clean all your grounding points front and back and the system will work..you will find a resistance reading in Ohms from the frame of the turnsignal houing to a good ground, if you are so scientific.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Celthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: figured it out Reply with quote

I finally figured this out and it was fairly simple. As everone knows, most of the relays we buy are junk. That is the case with flasher relays. The "P" or "KBL" post simply doesn't work. So, in effect, the relay has only 3 prongs. I simply jumped the blinker wire and the dash/blinker indicator wire off the same prong. Presto-instant blinkers.

Now, the brake light.....
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently solved the problem you mentioned. It required a new wiper switch, headligth relay 4 bad ground wires and miswiring in the speedo. All this combined caused the exact trouble you mentioned. Start at the beginning asn work the problem. It will be the only solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you have flashers... I have nothing. Crying or Very sad

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
At least you have flashers... I have nothing. Crying or Very sad

Haha! Same here! Hand signals work fine for me. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: