Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you think about this wiring set up
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: What do you think about this wiring set up Reply with quote

Hey guys, I need to rewire my thing. I would like to know what you wiring experts think about this wiring set up:

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw.html

It is made for a beetle. Would it be as easy as they claim to put this together for the thing? I seems to be a cleaner option. Could a novice with their instructions be able to figure it out or should I stick to reinstalling the original harness? Thank you for your input. Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these look pretty spendy... You can get a complete dunebuggy wiring loom from JC Whitney for $52... compare that to the $279 these guys are asking. I've used the JC Whitney kit on a dunebuggy I built and it worked great. I know the pre-cut kits are easy to install even for a novice... My 2 cents Confused

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Vehi...17/c-10110
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet give German Motor Works a call...
http://germanmotorworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=327
If it really is $250 for a complete THING harness that beats TTS at $495
http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181971011
THING specific should mean there's no guess work or alterations necessary... Smile
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the wiring works kit, I was going to use it but I have some front end issues and I need the room. Eventually someone will make the kit again I figure.

Since they are out of production and cost 495 from the Thing shop and the kit I have is brand new in bag. I'd like 450

I myself being a novice, even more so with anything electrical wouldn't go with anything else not designed for the Thing. Especially if you are going to have someone else do it. Customizing costs more.

How bad is your current wiring? Would just replacing a few wires do the trick? Or was there a massive fire and burned everything to copper? lol

I wonder how much a used wiring kit would get in metal recycyling? ;)

chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scso336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that kit it took me a weekend to install and it worked out well I would use it again if I were to rewire another vw
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: