Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no juice
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: no juice Reply with quote

I drive my Thing about 100 miles a day and have a laptop plugged in to the power port. Today I stopped for a few minutes and it wouldn't start up again. There wasn't enough battery power to start it. I got it jumped and made it home. Started up fine after I got home. After it got dark, I took it down the street and the headlights got really dim. They would brighten up a bit when I revved the motor, but then went dim immediately. The generator light is not coming on. Would this be a dead battery problem? Wouldn't the light come on if the gen or regulator weren't working properly? I did a search, but in all the threads I could find, the generator light came on.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your generator light ever come on? Maybe it's been burned out for a while...

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a regulator problem to me i hade to replace my alternator on my bug because of similar problems at night my light would get super bright then back to normal pegging my amp gague at the time of bright lights. good luck

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Take the battery and generator out to have it checked. Could be either one or the light like tower said.

Do you check your battery?
Are your cables tight and secure? (this is a big one for most projects)
Maybe the gen/alt is going out.

Even though its not new to me I am reminded occasionally that procrastinating or doing things half-fast multiples repair time 100 fold. Make sure everything, including your connections, are solid and secure.
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My battery went dead a couple of months ago. I cleaned my coroded terminals which helped a little, but I finally realized that my battery water levels were really low. I toped it off with fresh distilled water and it's been fine since.

Another time I had a starter wire fall off (the small blade connector) which drove me nuts for a few minutes before I figured out what was going on.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you have a voltmeter, here are some easy tests to make:
Measure the voltage across the battery. Should be about 12.6 volts with the engine off. As the engine speeds up, the voltage should increase to somewhere around 14 volts. If it does, the generator is working and charging the battery. If the voltmeter does not go up with the engine running, first check to see that the generator brushes are not worn excessively. If you can, apply a little pressure to the brushes while the engine is running see if the gen the voltmeter reading increases. If it does, the brushes may be worn to the point that they don't exert enough pressure on the commutator." ( http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm )

Check SPEEDY JIM'S HOME PAGE site for other gen. checks.
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the voltage on the battery without the motor running and it reads about 12-12.5 V on my analog meter. The light comes on when I start it like it is supposed to. A few weeks ago I pulled the motor and when I put it back in, I didn't have the belt tight. The light came on then, so I don't think its a problem with the light. I haven't checked the voltage with the motor running yet. I pulled the brushes out of the generator and they appear to be good. The end of the brushes and the commutator look nice and clean. The battery doesn't look very new. I've only had the Thing since June. I'll pull it and have it tested since it's easier to get out than the gen.
90runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a ground problem possibly I used to get that with my Porsche I'd be driving along and all of a sudden the lights would dim and the car would stall.
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery checked out OK. Just needs a charge. Guess I'll check all the connections and make sure everything is tight and then make my way to the regulator. I did check the voltage at the battery with the motor running and when I raise the rpm it does move up to about 14 volts.
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I checked all the connections and everything is solid. The only other thing I can think of is the regulator.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any extra grounds for their battery?
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you hate it when the last thing you look at is the easiest to fix? The belt was a teensy bit loose. I took out one shim and no more problem. Rolling Eyes Of course, I did get to take the day off work and play with the VW. Laughing
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, maybe it isn't fixed. I started driving about 8 this morning. Had my laptop plugged in and the AC power light is nice and steady. About 10 it starts flickering. I put the multitester on the gen to check the voltage and at idle it shows about 14 volts. When I raise the rpm the voltage drops to about 5-6 volts. That doesn't sound right. Any ideas?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is your problem-Voltage regulator, brushes or generator.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try and polarize the generator as Speedy Jim suggests?

"What happens though to a generator which has been STORED a long time or is freshly built? The residual magnetism may have decreased to the point where it can no longer get the generator started producing voltage. In the case of a new generator or one which has been mis-treated, the residual may even be of the wrong direction (North and South poles reversed). Polarization is a simple process used to restore the Field pole residual magnetism and ensure the magnetic direction is correct." (Speedy Jim)

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it started and took it to Lyle Cherry. We traced it down to the voltage regulator. The contacts were fried. Swapped it out and I'm back on the road. Thanks for all the tips.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: