Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine install/drop w/ 73 style EGR in place
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Engine install/drop w/ 73 style EGR in place Reply with quote

I recently dropped and re-installed a complete engine in a Thing with the 73 style EGR valve in place. The 73 EGR is permanently attached to the intake manifold, unlike the 74 that unbolts with 2 bolts. I got it out & in, but it was a very tight fit with a lot of fighting and cuss words thrown in there for good measure. The problem as I see it is that the EGR inlet pipe on the intake manifold is just begging to hit the decklid latch on the way up and down. How I got in in/out was to have the inlet pipe go down the left side of the decklid latch bracket, and the shaft of the gen. go down the right side of the decklid latch bracket. I removed the pulley off the gen. to make this work. This was of course with a little shift of the engine to the left.

Other than removing the generator and or intake manifold, is there a quick easy way to get the engine in and out??? Maybe I don't know the special technique to make this all happen in a nice manner....or maybe that is just how it is.....???????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked your Thing didn’t have a EGR valve. Did you get another one?

As for your clearance problem I suggest a Sawzall. Works every time!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I had to R&R the engine on a Thing, it was a 73 with the EGR.

What a PITA. I had to remove the distributor and do a lot of twisting and pushing to get it back in.

Good luck.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntour said "sawzall", but I think grinder is better. Very Happy

Seriously. I cut off my decklid latch, tapped a couple of holes, bought an angle bracket, and made my own removable decklid latch.

You can see it here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian......what is that black painted angle attached to? You mentioned threading some holes, but I see no hardware coming thru the body. Removable latch would definitely help things out!

Glenn.....I'm almost wondering if that is why VW changed the EGR style the next year??? Not for the Thing specifically, but just for overall ease of engine removal on all VW's. Your words sum it up pretty well, twisting, pushing, praying to the VW gods. I was able to do it without removing the dist. but you have to work everything including the dist. thru the engine seal on the way up.

Suntour......not on my Thing, on another that I own. How is your build going? I haven't been by there recently to see it. P-mail me when you get a chance. Still have any of that sheet metal you were selling a while back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Suntour said "sawzall", but I think grinder is better. Very Happy

Seriously. I cut off my decklid latch, tapped a couple of holes, bought an angle bracket, and made my own removable decklid latch.

You can see it here:

NICE THING!

Chas
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattt wrote:
Ian......what is that black painted angle attached to? You mentioned threading some holes, but I see no hardware coming thru the body. Removable latch would definitely help things out!

That rear piece is hollow. With the engine out, I ground off the latch mount and got it pretty flush. If you look at it, you can see where the sheet metal has been doubled up. I drilled holes in it, then tapped to accept some large bolts. I was careful not to tighten it up too much as the threads aren't that strong. I measured up the angle bracket, made some matching holes to mount it, then drilled some holes for the latch. I painted everything, then bolted it all together and adjusted it with the deck lid shut while sitting in the engine compartment. I was a bit concerned that with the engine in place, I wouldn't be able to remove the deck lid rod, but it all clears perfectly.

Chas223 wrote:
NICE THING!

Thanks!

Last edited by Ian Epperson on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added pics:

mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, thanks for the pics....worth 1000 words. I don't know why I initially said not seeing the hardware on the outside.....duh, it's a hollow cavity there. I just wasn't thinking straight. How thick is that metal there? Seems like over time those bolts wouldn't hold if it just regular sheet metal.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea Ian .

Matt another way of fastening the "angle bracket" is to use riv nuts or a plus nut . They kind of work like a pop rivet with threads on the inside and are very useful for blind hole applications like Ian's set up. I use the shit out of these things and they are very strong .

http://www.perlanesales.com/rivnut.php

Ian if that bolt is a 3/8 you can use the same set up since it will require you to drill a 3/8 hole for a 1/4 20 bolt.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattt wrote:
How thick is that metal there? Seems like over time those bolts wouldn't hold if it just regular sheet metal.

Not very thick. I'm a bit concerned about it, but it holds tight now. I always assumed that if it failed, I'd fix it somehow - perhaps welding on a nut or something.... but...

surfarii wrote:
another way of fastening the "angle bracket" is to use riv nuts or a plus nut .

Freakin awsome idea! That would handily solve the problem.

Bah, 3/8! Them's metric bolts! Wink I had to drill it to some weird size like 7/32" before tapping it to the 8x1.0 threads. Looks like the riv nuts are pretty forgiving, and I'm not so squeamish about drilling it out a bit bigger if need be.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for "nutsert" - it is a way to put an nut in an area you cannot get to from behind.

http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=261593
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: