Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Wheel Alignment
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blsthng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel Alignment Reply with quote

The steering wheel on my 1974 Thing is several degrees off of center when wheels are pointed straight. Is there an adjument on the steering box to align steering wheel or do I need to have the front end aligned?
Thanks in advanced for all replies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would adjust the tie rods. For example, if the steering wheel is tilted sightly to the left when the wheels are absolutely straight, then you'd want to shorten the left tie rod and lengthen the right tie rod by the same amount.

Do you have this book? It's awesome, and explains how to do this far better than I could.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Welcome to the Samba!

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know it has a good alignment you could always take the steering wheel off and move it on the splines.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
If you know it has a good alignment you could always take the steering wheel off and move it on the splines.

x2! Much easier to do.

1) Make the wheels STRAIT. Drive forward a few feet to ensure they're in line.

2) Pop out the horn button (pull hard on each corner (one at a time) it until the corner makes a loud pop like it broke, rotate the horn button until it releases, then disconnect the horn wire)

3) Unbolt the steering wheel. I think it's a 23" nut. Hang on to the wavy washer.

4) Note carefully exactly where the wheel is, then pull it toward you. The first time I did this it was REALLY hard. Liquid wrench may help.

5) Put it back on with whatever orientation you want. This probably means strait though.

6) Loosly put on the center nut (with wavy washer), put a quick wrap of tape around the wire to prevent the horn from running (it honks when that wire grounds) then take the car for a quick spin. Is the wheel strait now? If not, unbolt and recenter.

7) Once it's all good, tighten it down and pop back on the horn button.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of big nuts......but 23"??????? WOW Ian! Laughing Laughing Laughing

73 and earlier is 27mm nut, 74 and later is 24mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:

That is what a PO does.
Then the next time the front is aligned wrong, you do that again. Eventually you can't steer as tight one way.

If this car was recently aligned, take the car back and have it done properly. Then while they are doing it, watch them to ensure they don't move the steering wheel on the shaft. The proper way is to adjust one tie rod longer and the other shorter.
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: steering wheel Reply with quote

Make sure your front end is aligned right, just don't move the steering wheel. As idf you drive the car with the steering "box" in the wrong spot. You can damage the box.

If the steering wheel is in the wrong position, something is wrong up front. IE its been hit, damaged, bent or something. I wouldn't want to trust my life in the hands of a front end that isn't right.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
emersonbiggins wrote:

That is what a PO does.
Then the next time the front is aligned wrong, you do that again. Eventually you can't steer as tight one way.

If this car was recently aligned, take the car back and have it done properly. Then while they are doing it, watch them to ensure they don't move the steering wheel on the shaft. The proper way is to adjust one tie rod longer and the other shorter.

I said "if you it has a good alignment" then move the steering wheel.
You are assuming the alignment is wrong already.

If you have the wheels straight, jack up the front end and you should have the same amount of turns to left as you do to go right. If the car drives straight, I would have no problem moving the steering wheel.

If I was going to assume something, I would think the steering wheel of most VWs have been off and on to do repairs on the blinkers, ignition switch or windshield wipers more then someone messing with the front end.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:

I said "if you it has a good alignment" then move the steering wheel.
You are assuming the alignment is wrong already.

If the steering wheel is not centered, I KNOW the alignment is wrong. It is part of the proper procedure to ensure the steering wheel is straight.

emersonbiggins wrote:
If I was going to assume something, I would think the steering wheel of most VWs have been off and on to do repairs on the blinkers, ignition switch or windshield wipers more then someone messing with the front end.

Not many people would accidentally install the steering wheel cockeyed and leave it that way.
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a none master spline steering wheel, you align the front end and then align the steering wheel. Pretty simple really. To check your work, you do the steering "percent" like mentioned above. I.E. 1.5 rotations left 1.5 rotation right.

X
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: