Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long distance daily driver?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seabeesMCB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Long distance daily driver? Reply with quote

I was in the process of purchasing a Thing, for my daily driver. Well a job that I had applied for, and forgotten about, fell into my lap. So now, I am looking at driving about 1 hour and 20 minutes, one way. Now, I know that Things are tough vehicles, but will the engine survive with the sustained RPM's, or will it cook itself? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rocinante
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW designed these to be transportation. They were intended to be driven just as much as a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or anything else that was on the road at the time they came out.

I drive mine every day. At least 3 days a week I start driving at 8am and don't stop until 4pm. The only problems I've had were a set of bad tires and a bad voltage regulator. As long as you realize it's a 35-40 year old vehicle and keep it well maintained, it should be able to make a non-stop cross country trip without much trouble.
Ezra466
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Tucson AZ and I've been using my thing as a daily driver for well over a year. Even in the peak of summer I didn't have any problems. I have about a 40 mile commute each way.

As howiesfamily said, just keep it well maintained, and don't forget, or rather make sure you know what that means for a 35 year old car.
dixonmanor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, mine's a daily driver too. And last year I spent two months driving it around the country, often 12 hours a day, to the tune of 12,000 miles. The only problems I had were a few snapped belts (but I always carry at least 3 extra) and one busted fuel pump, but again, I carry extras.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a daily driver, too, until I wrecked it.

Parts are coming in readily, and I've got a week of shop time arranged.

As soon as she's buttoned up, I'll be driving her daily again. I've got a hard top, will soon have the heater cranking, and it'll be nice to roll her to work, taking the long way along the river and up the side of a mountain.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rember the max speed is low on stock setup. Do you have hills and wind Laughing
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are loud, rough and take some careful attention to be used every day. They can be very reliable, easy to fix, and fairly inexpensive to maintain. Remember that most inexpensive Things that you will find to buy will have been thoroughly neglected and will need lot's of work to get them back into daily driver status.

If you want a car that is long on character, will put a smile on your (and other peoples) face, and will be the center of attention almost everywhere you go, get a thing. If you want to get back and forth to work with little hassle in comfort, there may be better options for you.

hope this helps,
Craig
seabeesMCB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I want a Thing is because they are a little... different. I have always been drawn to odd vehicles. Some of my past vehicles have been: A Syncro van, police sedan, a 76 Bronco with 33" Tire, 88' Cherokee 4x4 pickup, FC 150, M715, etc. So, I would really like a lifted Thing, with a larger engine, so I can still play off-road, and maybe achieve decent gas mileage. I have to determine the actual mileage I will be traveling, and start buildin'. Thanks again.

Rocinante
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: